Colin Kaepernick death threats have been pouring in as the San Francisco 49ers quarterback continues to silently protest against police brutality and racial oppression in the United States, BBC News is reporting.
The American football player, who first refused to stand up for “The Star-Spangled Banner” during a pre-season game against Green Bay, has since resorted to going down on one knee to show respect to veterans. According to USA Today, the Colin Kaepernick death threats began last month when the football player began his national anthem boycott.
Colin Kaepernick says he has received death threats via social media since he began to protest the national anthem. https://t.co/gb2diunUJa— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) September 20, 2016
The Colin Kaepernick death threats have not discouraged the American football player who continues to generate support from fellow athletes. According to Fox Sports, athletes who have joined Colin Kaepernick in the national anthem protest include, teammate Eric Reid, U.S. national team star Megan Rapinoe, Denver Broncos player Brandon Marshall, and 53 players on the roster of the Seattle Seahawks.
The Colin Kaepernick death threats are coming on the heels of yet another police killing of a black man, Terence Crutcher in Tulsa, Oklahoma, which according to a CNN news report, the Justice Department is currently investigating.
A police surveillance video revealed Crutcher moving away from police officers with his hands held in the air, but as he opens the door of his SUV, he is shot by a police officer. Officers had responded to the scene over a report of a stalled vehicle.
Terence Crutcher's family said his hands were raised when he was shot by a Tulsa officer https://t.co/lK6Nr2BBR3— The New York Times (@nytimes) September 21, 2016
Colin Kaepernick has described the death of Terence Crutcher as a perfect reason why the protests should go on. He recounting the death of the unarmed man, he said when the 40-year-old man was shot by a female police officer, no one bothered to check him or tried to save his life. Kaepernick said they simply went about their business and even tried to cover up the crime.
“His car was broken down, he was looking for help and he got murdered. That’s a perfect example of what this is about… they shot and killed a man and walked around like it wasn’t a human being.”
The Colin Kaepernick death threats have done little to discourage the San Francisco player who led the 49ers to an appearance in the 2013 Super Bowl XLVII.
Before the confirmation of the Colin Kaepernick death threats, the 28-year-old football star had been heckled at games, the most recent being Sunday’s defeat to the Carolina Panthers. Kaepernick told reporters that even though the racial slurs and insults were only from sections of the crowd, it pained him that some Americans still did not have a full grasp of what was happening.
“There’s a lot of racism in this country disguised as patriotism and people want to take everything back to the flag but that’s not what we’re talking about. We’re talking about racial discrimination, inequalities and injustices that happen across the nation.”
When asked by reporters Tuesday if precautions had been taken over the Colin Kaepernick death threats, the 6’4″ inch athlete said he had not alerted team officials, adding if anything was to happen to him, it would be enough justification for his protests regarding the plight of the black man in America.
“If something were going to happen, it would be loud and clear for everyone why it happened. That would move this movement forward at a greater speed than what it is even now. I don’t want that to happen. But that’s the realization of what could happen.”
The American footballer player, who started his professional career as the 49ers’ backup start to Alex Smith in the thick of the 2012 season, admitted that he was not spending too much time thinking of any unfortunate consequence from the Colin Kaepernick death threats.
Looking beyond, the Colin Kaepernick death threats, the star player who bagged the NFL’s most offensive player in the 2008 and 2010 seasons had promised this month to donate $100,000 for the next ten months to local communities and veteran groups. According to the Daily Beast, Kaepernick plans on setting up a web site for the public to track how the money would be spent.
Should the Colin Kaepernick death threats be taken seriously?
[Featured Image by Denis Poroy/AP Images]