The Oceanside Police Department (OPD) has released information about a 15-year-old girl who was shot dead at the Balderrama Park in Oceanside, California, early this morning.
The officers received a call to investigate shots fired in the 700 block of San Diego Street at the Balderrama Park. What the officers saw when they arrived at the park was a girl on the playground equipment completely unresponsive with a gunshot wound. The shooting occurred just after 2:30 a.m. on Saturday morning, NBC San Diego reports.
The OPD tried to save the girl’s life, but she was pronounced dead at the scene. The officers do not believe this was a random act of violence, but possibly a targeted shooting.
Detectives are still on the scene collecting evidence and as of 8:30 a.m., no suspects have been arrested.
It is believed that the girl was not the only person at the scene when the shooting occurred, therefore detectives are searching for witnesses to the crime.
Back in 2013, four teens were shot down at a different park in Oceanside, killing two and wounding the other two. The shooting at the Libby Lake Park led to the arrest of two people, Santo Diaz, 22, and Martin Melendrez, 25, for the deaths of Melanie Virgen, 13, and Edgar Sanchez Rios, 16.
Melendrez was sentenced to 40 years in prison for the murder of the two young kids shot dead that night. Diaz pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter and was sentenced to 39 years in prison. Michael Zurita and Kevin Brizuela were also charged in the shooting.
According to United Gangs, Oceanside is home to multiple gangs. Although it has not been confirmed that the recent shooting was gang-related, Here are some gangs that reside in Oceanside.
- San Diego Krook City Bloods – Also known as the Mid Valley Bloods (MVB) and MidValley Krook City Bloods (MVKCB), the KCB gang functions mainly in Oceanside’s Tri-City area and is primarily a Samoan-American street gang.
- Varrio Mesa Locos – Also known as the Locos (MLS) or the Varrio Mesa Locos 13 (VMLS13), the VML gang is primarily a Mexican-American street gang and is typically located in the West side of Oceanside.
- Deep Valley Krips – The Krips are primarily African-Americans and their gang is primarily located in the Northeast section of Oceanside known as the “Back Gate” or “Deep Valley.”
- Deep Valley Bloods – Also known as the West Side Deep Valley Bloods (WSDVB), the DVB is a criminal street gang primarily made up of Samoan-Americans, but also has some African-Americans. The DVB is located in the Northeast part of Oceanside. They are prime enemies of the Deep Valley Krips and allies with Krook City Bloods.
- Varrio Posole Locos – Also known as Varrio Posole Locos 13, VPLS is primarily in Oceanside’s Eastside and is made up of Mexican-Americans. The gang has been in Oceanside since the 1950s.
As of now, the victim’s name of the girl who was shot at the Oceanside park has not been released and no further details have been made public. Stay tuned for further updates on this crime case. The Oceanside Police Department is asking for help with this investigation. If you have any information about this homicide, please contact OPD at (760) 435-4911.
The girl has been publicly identified by family members as 15-year-old Annabelle Flores. According to Times of San Diego, this case has been sealed and the police have requested no additional information be provided.
The suspect is still at large and the police are actively seeking the suspect. Investigators are also seeking witnesses to the crime, so please contact OPD if you have any information related to this homicide.
[Photo by Michael Bradley/Getty Images]