News reports regarding the mass protests in Venezuela are providing the rest of the world a glimpse into the growing devastation that is taking place there.
Clearly, from the report by the PBS Newshour, the protests in Venezuela are a good indication that the people there have had enough.
One report by The LA Times stated that the crowds of protesters were chanting things such as “no more socialism” and “Maduro out” as they made their demands for a referendum against President Maduro.
TeleSUR is a left-wing media service based out of Caracas, Venezuela, and it is reporting that the country’s foreign minister is saying that all potential violent actions and a planned coup were prevented by the nation’s security forces.
The same media service also reported that an opposition member was calling for street violence during the protests.
The report stated that the country’s foreign minister is claiming that they have arrested those involved in the coup, confiscating ammunition and bombs.
Over the past few days, Reuters has also reported that the opposition party had organized the mass protests to demand a recall referendum on Venezuelan president Nicolás Maduro, and in it also expresses the administration’s view that the protests in Venezuela was apart of a planned coup attempt to overthrow him.
The Inquisitr reported on the food crisis in the country, and also reported that President Maduro put the military in charge of food management, saying that it was another attempt to militarize basic services as it has already done before.
This could also explain the reasons why many reporters from outside the areas were not allowed access into the country to cover the protests in Venezuela, because according to a report by The Committee To Protect Journalists (CPJ), it says that at least six journalists had been denied access into Venezuela, being told that they do not have the correct documentation.
The report states that it includes denial of access for John Otis who is a correspondent for CPJ Andes and on assignment for NPR, Marie-Eve Detoeuf who is a correspondent for Le Monde, César Moreno of Colombia’s Caracol Radio, Dora Glottman of Caracol TV, Al-Jazeera producer Lagmi Chávez and Teresa Bo who is a correspondent for the same news service. All were stopped at the Caracas airport.
The Mendoza Post also reported on the denial of entry to an al-Jazeera journalist who is based out of Argentina, which went on to say that their equipment was confiscated.
She tweeted out the status of her entry at the time, followed by another one saying that international journalists have to use narco-trafficos to gain access into the country.
Stuck at the airport in Caracas as we were not allowed into the country.We are told last minute change in the law.Just a few days before #1S— Teresa Bo (@TeresaBo) August 30, 2016
The CPJ’s senior program coordinator for the Americas, Carlos Lauría, called on the Venezuelan government to let them through.
“We urge Venezuelan authorities to allow journalists to cover events in Venezuela, in the midst of a deep economic and political crisis. Authorities should expedite timely permission for journalists so the international press can report first-hand on these important events.”
The call for protests in Venezuela is frequent, and quite often the ones from 2014 are brought up, as they were with the TeleSUR piece this article referred to earlier.
The PBS NewsHour video also shows footage taken of government staffers getting access to groceries that the rest of the people cannot get, providing the view that access is only given to the privileged few. And as shown, people are having to stand in long lines to wait for food or they’re scavenging through garbage to find it.
The Maduro government is now saying that thanks to the crackdown on the protests in Venezuela, that they’re triumphant in keeping the peace.
[Photo by Ariana Cubillos/AP Images]