The Titanfall 2Open Multiplayer Tech Test is now free to download and play for both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One players. What should you expect from the test? Read on to find what will be available over the next two weekends while developer Respawn Entertainment stress tests their servers.
What Platforms Is It Available On?PlayStation 4 and Xbox One owners will have access to the Titanfall 2 Open Multiplayer Tech Test. However, PC gamers will be left out.
As previously covered, Respawn Entertainment is not confident they have the game fully prepared and tested out for the PC at this time. They are also attempting to avoid data miners digging into the title's code and revealing secrets about the single-player campaign and other unannounced details.
When Does It Run?The Titanfall 2 Open Multiplayer Tech Test will run across the final two weekends of August.
- Weekend 1: Friday, August 19 – Sunday, August 21
- Weekend 2: Friday, August 26 – Sunday, August 28
Do I need a Code?No, this is a freely available download for all PS4 and Xbox One owners. The latter will require an Xbox LIVE Gold subscription.
LevelingPlayers will be able to level up their characters and weapons during the Titanfall 2 Multiplayer tech test. However, the cap during the first weekend of the test is level 10, while the second weekend only goes up to level 15.
TitansThe Multiplayer Tech Test for Titanfall 2 will feature only two of the six Titans that will be available in the full game. Both the Scorch and the Ion will be available to play on both test weekends.
A heavier and slower Titan that uses fire-based weaponry for both offense and defense. It is equipped with the T-203 Thermite launcher that launches thermite projectiles to light up anything within range.
These are the Scorch's available abilities.
- Ordnance: Firewall: Fires a directed wall of thermite in the enemies direction.
- Tactical: Incendiary Trap: Deploys flammable gas canisters which can be triggered by the slightest spark.
- Defensive: Thermal Shield: Liquefies incoming artillery while dealing damage to nearby enemies.
- Core: Flame Core: Creates a giant wave of fire that destroys anything in its path.
This is a slightly more mobile Titan than the Scorch, with the key difference being it uses energy-based weapons that players will need to manage. It is armed with a Splitter Rifle that can fire single shots rapidly or three powerful shots at once if enough energy is available.
Here are the Ion's available abilities.
- Ordnance: Laser Shot: Shoulder-mounted laser beam.
- Tactical: Tripwire: Laser triggered explosive mines.
- Defensive: Vortex Shield: Absorb incoming fire and redirect it back at the enemy. A returning ability from the original Titanfall.
- Core: Laser Core: A deadly laser beam fired from the chest of the Ion. Think Iron Man.
Pilot AbilitiesCalled Tacticals in Titanfall 2, these special abilities also determine your character's visual appearance in the game.
- Pulse Blade: An throwing knife that also sends out a sonar pulse to detect nearby enemies. Available by default.
- Grapple: Fire at hard-to-reach places to get to them quickly. It can also be used against an enemy to pull them toward you for a devastating finishing kill. Available by default.
- Holo Pilot: A diversionary ability that will send out a hologram to distract the enemy. Available by default.
- Stim: Increases player survivability by providing a boost of speed while also restoring health for a period of time. Unlocks at level 6.
- Cloak (Weekend 2 only): Lets players go near invisible for a brief time. Unlocks at level 14.
ModesAll three of the following modes will be available to play during both Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Tech Test weekends. Two feature both Titans and Pilots, while a third is for those that only want to battle man to man.
- Bounty Hunt (5v5): A brand new mode that pits Pilots and their teammates against an opposing team as well as the Remnant Fleet. Earn bonuses by killing grunts and enemies, but make sure and deposit all your points at the bank between waves without getting killed.
- Pilots vs. Pilots (8v8): Players can be the best Pilot on the Frontier and put their combat and mobility skills to the ultimate test in this classic 8 vs 8 Pilots only mode.
- Amped Hardpoint (6v6): A new twist on Hardpoint Domination from the original game; now defending a Hardpoint will let you amp it, giving your team double score. Team work is the key to securing victory.
The "Boomtown," "Homestead," and "Training" maps will be available during the first weekend of play. The second weekend of the Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Tech Test will add "Forwardbase Kodai" to the rotation.
- Boomtown: A secret underground IMC facility where the latest in R&D is put to the test. In this facility, Pilots can use the many peaked roofs to use as cover against combatants below. With tight lanes through the middle, Titans can also be easily ambushed.
- Homestead: The IMC have claimed Imminent Domain on a small commune's plot of land. With a series of raised, rocky plateaus and a river running down the middle, Pilots are mostly safe from Titans among the rocks and trees but they also can duck into the caves and building when needed. However, the Titans control the large rolling fields.
- Training: This map is only available in the Titanfall 2 Training mode. Players can also run a course to attempt to top a leaderboard.
- Forward Base Kodai (Weekend 2 only): Militia forces have taken over an IMC substation and set up a forward operating base. Pilots can find safety from Titans in the hallways and chambers of the main building, while Titans can walk over the roof to get a better view of the action.