Well it is that time of year again; casting calls for HBO’s Game of Thrones. So who do we have for Season 7 and are they even important at all?
Watchers on the Wall is a Game of Thrones fansite that manages to get some pretty remarkable scoops when it comes to the TV show. Regardless, the following casting calls are not verified officially by HBO, so please factor that in when reading this article.
Below is the list of Season 7 casting calls, as posted via Watchers on the Wall. Let’s have a look at them and make some predictions about whether they might be important in the upcoming season of Game of Thrones.
- “General, in the age range 40 – 55. He’s a senior military officer, and they’re looking for a white actor who uses the British RP accent. The actor is needed for the week of September 6th.”
For reference, “British RP accent” stands for received pronunciation, denoting a social standing rather than a location indicator. Basically, an RP accent is a posh English accent and a non-RP accent is for that of a commoner. As Watchers On The Wall point out, many casting calls for characters with an RP accent have wound up in King’s Landing, so bear that in mind when reading through the list.
So this general will likely be of high standing and could, potentially, be stationed in King’s Landing. However, he is only needed for a week of filming. In the Game of Thrones universe, this is usually a good indicator the person will likely be killed rather than leave. The fact he is a military officer backs up his short shelf life.
- “Priest, in his 60’s. He’s a venerable priest with moral authority and gravitas. The show is seeking a white actor, using an RP accent, with characterful face for this part. He’s scheduled to shoot one week, from September 22nd.”
Could this character be a surviving priest from Cersei’s burning of King’s Landing? He has a high moral authority and gravitas, so this could prove he is. However, many priests also have these character traits. He is another character that is only required to be on set for Season 7 of Game of Thrones for a week, so perhaps Cersei deals with him in her classic way of using violence above all other?
- “Warrior, in the 35 – 45 age range. The character is a tough-looking bruiser with the attack skills of a pit bull, and the actor needs to be great at fighting. He has a ‘considerable’ amount of dialogue as well. This role is currently scheduled to shoot across October.”
Watchers on the Wall also indicate the character is required to be white and to have a non-RP accent, so at least we know this warrior will not be Dothraki, as a middle eastern appearance is preferred for this race. Considering the term used is “warrior” and not “fighter,” could indicate the character is a part of a smaller, less organized group. Maybe he is a wildling? Or, perhaps even a member of Daenerys’ group? Only by tuning into Season 7 of Game of Thrones will reveal more about this character. The character will shoot across October and involves a large amount of dialogue. This is a good indicator that fans will get to know the character fairly well before HBO decides to kill him off.
- “Gate Guard, in his 20’s. The character is described as a ‘Confident, characterful, straight-talking Northern lad with a great face to play across a very excellent series of scenes.’ They’re looking someone with wit, timing, and charisma. He’s currently scheduled to film between mid-October and mid-November.”
This sounds like another character HBO might want you to fall in love with before they kill him. Being a gate guard, he could be stationed at any section across Westeros. However, considering he is described as being a “straight-talking Northern lad,” to have him at the Wall would be pretty interesting. Especially considering there is a likelihood of Night King and his band of white walkers and wights trying to access Westeros in the remaining seasons of Game of Thrones.
- “City Guard, in his 30’s. The show is casting for a city guard who intercepts a suspicious-looking person on his nightly patrol. They require an RP accent for this one. He’s set to shoot for a week in mid-October.”
Once again, this character requires a RP accent. Considering he is also required as a “city guard,” I would put money down more likely than on the others that he is from King’s Landing. To be honest though, I want to know more about the “suspicious-looking person.”
- “Merchant, in his 40’s. The merchant appears at an inn during a busy evening. They’re seeking a character actor, for a non-combatant role. His appearance is more open, including ethnicity/race. This part is scheduled to shoot the first week of November.”
Watcher On The Wall suggests this character could be from a group of people Game of Thrones fans have not yet met, indicating that with Daenerys now on the move towards Westeros, this character could somehow be involved with her journey. This certainly sounds plausible enough. Being a merchant though, he could appear just about anywhere across the landscape and not seem out of place.
- “Lovely Lady. The show is casting for an attractive young courtesan who is sure of her own mind. It’s described as a “good speaking part” and casting notes that full nudity is required for the role. She’s scheduled to shoot for one week in early October.
Just in case you hadn’t realized, ‘lovely lady’ is synonymous in the Game of Thrones universe with sexposition. So this ‘lovely lady’ is likely to be there as a distraction while main characters speak of more important things. So while the character may not be an important role, chances are the scene she is in will be crucial.
- “Young Lord in his late 20’s. He’s a tall, handsome young lord, and the show is looking for a white actor who uses the RP accent. He’s scheduled to shoot in the week commencing September 20th.”
This, honestly, just sounds like a filler character. Someone who needs to be in a scene to make up the appearance of a group rather than a character that will really move the plot forward. The character is only required for a week of filming so could just as likely be killed as be there to fill a spot in a scene.
- “Lieutenant, in his 20’s. The character is described as an athletic, physically fit, and disciplined warrior. Appearance-wise, they’re looking for someone not white, with Middle Eastern descent mentioned. He’s set to shoot several days across three weeks, between mid-September and mid-November.”
This character sounds like a Dothraki. They will film several days across three weeks, indicating he will be a character who will be seen in several scenes or episodes but not entirely important. Although, considering how violent those Dothraki can get, he might be important, but killed off in the end.
All in all, this casting call list for Game of Thrones seems to include mainly minor roles for the upcoming Season 7, and nothing to really get excited about. Although, according to i09, the casting call for the Warrior character, could be an indication of the book character, Jon Connington. Regardless of whether this is true or not, the list, at least, will give us all something to pore over, especially now that we know Season 7 will be delayed next year.
What do you think will happen in Season 7 of HBO’s Game of Thrones? Let us know your thoughts and theories by commenting below.
Game of Thrones will return to HBO with a shortened Season 7 in 2017.
[Image via HBO]