Jordan Ann Dumont has been found dead as officials announced early on Tuesday that they had located the remains of a child during the search for the missing 3-year-old.
Dumont had gone missing on Monday from her North Carolina home, and the search for the girl continued through the night and into the day on Tuesday. Her remains were found early on Tuesday, WBTV reported.
“Remains, believed to be those of a child, were located during the search of a missing three-year-old Gaston County girl Tuesday morning,” the outlet noted.
Reports indicated that the child’s remains were found not far from the home where the child went missing. The search for Jordan was called off shortly after the body was found.
#breaking Chief Joseph Ramey says search crew found remains of toddler within walking distance of Jordan Dumont's home.— ChristianFlores WBTV (@C_FloresWBTV) August 16, 2016
The search for Jordan Ann Dumont had picked up considerably on Tuesday morning, more than one day after the three-year-old girl went missing from her North Carolina home.
Dumont disappeared from a home near Bessemer City at close to 1 p.m. on Monday, WSOCTV reported. The toddler had been under the care of her mother’s boyfriend, who reportedly put her in bed for an afternoon nap and then also took a nap himself. But the man woke up at around 3:30 p.m. and found that the girl was gone from her room, and the front door was open.
Police launched into an immediate search for Jordan Ann Dumont, using four-wheelers and K9 units to search nearby wooded areas. The ground search continued until close to 9:30 p.m. on Monday before being suspended, but police continued to search through the night using a highway patrol helicopter that has a heat-sensing camera, WSOCTV reported.
Some volunteers were upset with the decision to suspend the ground search, saying they were willing to look through the night for Jordan, but police noted that the efforts to find Jordan were continuing.
“We’ve been working through the night, contrary to popular belief,” said Gaston County Police Chief Joseph Ramey told WSOCTV. “We’ve been out here all night. In addition, we’ve been following up additional leads that weren’t on this scene.”
Police added that a nighttime search would be dangerous for volunteers with an increased risk of injury due to unseen hazards in the wooded areas, WCNC reported.
The search for the missing girl officially picked up again on Tuesday at 8 a.m. The hunt still focused on the area around her home, and a number of volunteers joined to help comb the wooded areas in the search for Jordan Ann.
Volunteers are walking through this area, shouting for missing 3-year-old Jordan Dumont. pic.twitter.com/SMXtEK5cB2— Adam Lawson (@GazetteLawson) August 16, 2016
Many of the volunteers were parents themselves, and they were drawn to the search for Jordan by thinking about their own children.
“It’s very important to me to help these people find their kids because if it happened to mine I would want the same in return,” said Charity Neal.
The search for Jordan Dumont became national news on Monday, and media outlets across the country covered her disappearance and the subsequent search. Her story was also shared on social media with many local residents sharing information about her disappearance in the hopes that someone might spot her.
Before the news that Jordan Dumont was found dead, the police had called on all local residents to be on the lookout for signs of the girl.
“Please be on the lookout for this little child. If you see something suspicious or anything at all that may lead us to believe that it is Jordan, please give us a call,” said Ramey (via WBTV).
Police did not issue an Amber Alert in the disappearance of Jordan Dumont because they said they did not suspect she was abducted.
Authorities have not yet released details on the death of Jordan Ann Dumont, including exactly where the body was found or how the girl died.
[Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images]