Christopher Hubbart: Freed Rapist Who Assaulted Over 40 Women Back In Mental Hospital After Violating Release Conditions

Christopher Hubbart, a notorious rapist who admitted to raping over 40 women was back in custody Tuesday, two years after being released from a mental hospital, the L.A. Times is reporting. The 65-year-old man was taken into custody after authorities confirmed he had violated conditions associated with his release.

Hubbart, who is also known as the “Pillowcase Rapist” because he muffled the screams of his victims with a pillow case, has been in and out of mental hospitals and prisons as far back as 1972. Despite being released several times, Christopher had always ended up as a repeat offender. In 2000, the “Pillowcase Rapist” was declared a sexually violent predator and committed to a psychiatric hospital for the long term.

[Photo by ThinkStock]
In 2013, a California judge ordered the release of Christopher Hubbart after doctors gave him a pass and said he was fit to live again in society. The judge instructed the convicted rapist to live in Southern California where he was raised, because his criminal record made it impossible to find housing elsewhere. In 2014, when he was released, Hubbart moved into a small house in the middle of the desert, located outside Pamdale, Los Angeles.

Prosecutors had filed lawsuits questioning his release and outraged residents had burnt “burn in hell” effigies outside his home, asking him to be locked up and not allowed to roam free. Even John Bay, Hubbart’s former parole officer nursed the same fears.

“Christopher Hubbart is a waste of a human heart… He never should have gotten out.”

The “Pillowcase Rapist” had been living under armed guard conforming to strict living conditions which included undergoing lie detector tests, indiscriminate searches of his house, attending therapy and counseling classes, wearing a GPS device and avoiding movies or television shows that could incite arousal.

Santa Clara County court spokesman Joseph Macaluso told reporters that officials of Liberty Healthcare, a state contractor supervising Hubbart’s conditional release program, contacted the court on Tuesday to lodge a complaint that he had reneged on the terms of his release. Macaluso did not mention specifically how Christopher violated his release conditions, but confirmed that the serial sex offender was being remanded at the Coalinga State Hospital in California.

Before he was taken into custody, state-funded security guards had kept a 24-hour surveillance over the serial rapist, mainly to protect him from disgruntled people who regularly protested outside his house. The protesters had barricaded roads and even stopped a company from delivering water to Hubbart’s house. Local law enforcement had also investigated unspecified death threats against the “Pillowcase Rapist,” and identified an incident when a motorist tried to run him off the road.

 [Photo by ThinkStock]
Christopher Hubbart has been in and out of prisons and state hospitals for more than 40 years. He confessed to raping 40 women between 1971 and 1982. Authorities believe that the number of his assaulted victims might be closer to 100.

In 1972, Christopher was incarcerated at a state hospital after a slew of sexual assaults. He was released, but arrested years later, and sent to prison for eight years. Two months after being released from prison, he tip-toed behind a jogger, forced his hand over her mouth, and fondled her breasts.

In 2015, a judge had denied a request to imprison Hubbart after he was found to have allowed the batteries in his ankle monitor run down. The prosecuting attorney, Jackie Lacey, had said it was dangerous to continue to have a violent predator with a history of repeat offenses living with society.

Cheryl Holbrook, a resident of Palmdale, admitted that her notorious neighbor had prompted her to install cameras around her house and keep a gun close by, in case she needed it. Holbrook, one of the demonstrators when Christopher Hubbart moved into the area, celebrated the news when she heard he had been returned back to custody.
“Oh, my God! I’m ecstatic. This is beyond the best news I’ve ever had. This is like winning the lottery.”

A Coalinga State Hospital spokesman said he could not release any information about Christopher Hubbart’s detention citing patient privacy.

[Image via Los Angeles County Sherriff’s Department]