Netflix and Marvel have teamed up to produce some of the best television series of the last few years. Fans of the Netflix-exclusive Daredevil and Jessica Jones can’t wait for the next season of either show. Jon Bernthal’s portrayal of the Punisher in the second season of Daredevil has fans anxiously awaiting his own show, while long-time Marvel Comics fans have been waiting for The Defenders cross-over series the entire time. The Marvel Cinematic Universe faithful will get their next dose on September 30, when Luke Cage debuts on Netflix. Just today, the full trailer was finally released.
The new trailer shows the titular character’s reluctance to embrace his role in Harlem as a superhero. In the Marvel comic book series, Luke Cage’s character took on the alias Power Man as he teamed up with Iron Fist to form the Heroes for Hire. It’s unclear whether Iron Fist (played by Finn Jones) will make a cameo in Luke Cage or whether their first interaction on Netflix will be on The Defenders in 2017. Almost immediately, however, the trailer shows Claire Temple (played by Rosario Dawson), who appeared in both seasons of Daredevil as well as Jessica Jones.
Also visible in the full trailer is Misty Knight (played by Simone Missick), a Harlem police detective with romantic ties to both Luke Cage/Power Man and Danny Rand/Iron Fist in the comics. As noted by Complex, Misty Knight will appear in Luke Cage, but not in Iron Fist. It was believed that she played a significant role in both series when Head of Marvel Television Jeph Loeb made that comment in error.
RELATED REPORTS BY THE INQUISITR
- Netflix: Simone Missick To Play Misty Knight In Marvel’s Luke Cage But Not Iron Fist
- DC Comics Gives The Suicide Squad And Harley Quinn A Rebirth
- Does DC Universe: Rebirth Reveal What Happens In The Flash Season 3 After The Flashpoint?
- Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 4 Press Release: Jason O’Mara Cast As Director — Ghost Rider To Debut
- DC Comics: Batman: The Killing Joke Movie & Graphic Novel — Everything You Need To Know
- DCTV: Tyler Hoechlin As Superman On The CW’s Supergirl — A First Look At The Costume
- Netflix: Tired Of Waiting For Marvel’s Daredevil Season 2? Check Out The Cast In These Other Netflix Options
- DCTV: Gotham Season Finale Recap — Unexpected Villains Revealed For Season 3
- Can X-Men: Apocalypse Compete With Marvel’s Civil War And Dawn Of Justice At The Box Office?
- Netflix Unveils Luke Cage Key Art And Promises Trailer Tomorrow
Just yesterday, Netflix officially gave fans the new Luke Cage poster, as seen in the Instagram post below. As the trailer and poster both suggest, the show will be darker and grittier than the blockbuster Marvel movies, just like Daredevil and Jessica Jones before it.
As actor Mike Colter recently told Time, Cage will be dealing with relationship issues as well as criminal issues in Harlem.
“Jessica had brought on quite a bit of baggage, things he didn’t want to deal with. By the time we get to the beginning of Luke Cage, he’s had time to get himself back on his feet a little bit. But he’s weary of women. He’s weary of trusting people.”
The full series will be released all at once on September 30, so fans of the MCU can binge the entire season of Luke Cage in one sitting. Iron Fist is scheduled to be released some time in 2017, and The Defenders is scheduled to be released later in the year. Premiere dates for The Punisher and new seasons of Daredevil and Jessica Jones have yet to be confirmed by Netflix or Marvel.
[Image via Netflix]