Three ‘Dark Knight’ Massacre Victims Decide To Sue Cinemark

Three injured victims of July’s Aurora, Colorado “Dark Knight” massacre have decided to sue Cinemark, the company that owns the theater, for not taking enough safety measures.

According to NBC News, two lawsuits have been filed in federal court. These lawsuits allege that Cinemark USA, the owner of the Century 16 Theater in Aurora, could have prevented the gunman from entering the theater through a rear exit door and commiting the mass shooting if they had more security equipment and more security personnel.

According to 9News.com, complaints were filed on behalf of Brandon Axelrod, Joshua Nowlan and Denise Traynom. All three were injured by James Holmes in the July 20th mass shooting during the premier of The Dark Knight Rises.

“Any person who wished to make a surreptitious and unauthorized entry into the theater could easily determine that the lack of security personnel and lack of any alarm on the door at the right, front by the screen of Auditorium would allow them to leave the theater, and re-enter without fear of being discovered, interfered with, monitored or stopped future of the Century 16 theater had been in question since the shootings. The city of Aurora conducted a survey on Facebook to ask what should be done with the building, and a city spokesperson said the majority supported re-opening the theater, KUSA reported.,” the lawsuits allege, according to KUSA.

The future of the Century 16 theater had been in question since the shootings occured in July. The city of Aurora conducted a survey on Facebook to ask what should be done with the building. According to a city spokesperson, the majority supported re-opening the theater.

The Mayor of Aurora, Steve Hogan, wrote a letter to Cinemark USA on Sept. 12. In the letter Hogan writes:

“While no one will ever forget that day, it is now time to look forward and plan for the future,” Hogan wrote. “We believe that we are hearing, and indeed have heard for some time, a collective wish and desire for the theatre to re-open.”

Cinemark USA president and CEO Tim Warner wrote back to Hogan on September 20th, reports KUSA. Warner says in the letter:

“We look forward to working with you about the best way to reopen the theater,” Warner wrote. “We hope the theater will be ready by the beginning of the New Year.”

The movie theater will reopen by the beginning of 2013, according to KUSA on Friday.