Those Romantic Candlelit Dinners Could Be Killing You

Ahh, so romantic. You and your loved one sitting across the table from each other, enjoying a delicious meal by candle-light… stop right there! If that candle is made of paraffin wax, you’re also breathing in known human carcinogens.

According to a study presented at the 238th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society (ACS), all candles, especially those made of paraffin wax, cause indoor air pollution that can build up over time and cause serious breathing problems.

From the article titled: “Romantic, candle-lit dinners: An unrecognized source of indoor air pollution” at ScienceBlog.com:

Loading...

“In the study, R. Massoudi Ph.D., and Amid Hamidi , Ph.D., said that that candles made from bee’s wax or soy, although more expensive, apparently are healthier. They do not release potentially harmful amounts of indoor air pollutants while retaining all of the warmth, ambience and fragrance of paraffin candles (which are made from petroleum).

“An occasional paraffin candle and its emissions will not likely affect you,” Hamidi said. “But lighting many paraffin candles every day for years or lighting them frequently in an un-ventilated bathroom around a tub, for example, may cause problems.” Besides the more serious risks, he also suggested that some people who believe they have an indoor allergy or respiratory irritation may in fact actually be reacting to air pollutants from burning candles.”