Conrad Murray, the physician convicted of delivering a lethal level of propofol to singer Michael Jackson in 2011, is trying to get his medical license back after being out of work for over four years.
The Record reports that Murray, 63, who served as Jackson’s physician in 2009, still claims he’s innocent, and his “unjustly” punishment has prohibited him from finding employment. Murray spent almost two years in prison after a jury found him guilty of involuntary manslaughter associated with Jackson’s death.
“I was unjustly punished for a crime that never happened. I see no reason why I shouldn’t be able to work in the US. I surrendered my licence voluntarily and am confident it will be re-instated.”
Murray said since his release from prison, he’s had to depend on friends and loved ones for financial support. He added that because of his reputation as a stellar physician, he’s been assisting patients on a voluntary basis, but he needs to start making money again.
“Since being freed, I have continued to help my patients and many new patients who have come to me because of my reputation. They come from across the world; from Spain, Israel, America and the South Pacific. Do I charge them?”
“No. I do not charge for my services. I volunteer to help them and see them through their problems…..I am highly skilled and have an unblemished medical record. My career has been impeccable.”
Murray’s lack of employment likely plays a role in him writing a book on his times spent with Jackson. Entitled, This is It, the upcoming book reportedly delves into Conrad’s relationship with Jackson, as well as first-hand accounts of the King of Pop’s behavior behind closed doors. Despite the apparent invasion of his former’s client’s privacy, Conrad insists that book will show Jackson “due respect.” His publicist, Max Markson, said the following.
“I’m sure everyone will be fascinated to hear what Conrad has to say about his time with Michael. He’s a doctor, very calm and great with people and he has some extraordinary stories to tell.”
Meanwhile, The Mirror reports that Murray is re-applying for his medical license in two states: California and Nevada. Although Murray is a native of the Grenada island in the Caribbean, he mainly worked in California and Nevada after transferring to the U.S. He currently spends in time between California and Florida, where his fiance and his 7-year-old child lives.
Despite Murray’s continued claims of innocence, court records indicate that Jackson never self-medicated with propofol while under the doctor’s care. Court records indicate that in May 2009, Murray bought five bottles of propofol, a medication that helps promote relaxation before and during medical procedures. The medication is administered via a needle placed into a vein, and it helps people quickly fall asleep. Jackson reportedly has extreme difficulties in falling asleep.
The date that Murray purchased the propofol matches the timeline that he was hired to care for the singer in his Los Angeles home. Murray purchased the drugs for $853 in Nevada and had them shipped to California.
On the night Jackson died, Murray ordered the Thriller singer’s bodyguard, Alberto Alvarez, to “pick up vials of medicine” before calling the ambulance. When the paramedics arrived, Murray neglected to tell them that he’d given Jackson propofol.
Murray’s defense initially tried to argue that Jackson himself “swallowed” a fatal dose of propofol, but the physician who performed a post-mortem investigation, Dr. Christopher Rogers, said that Murray likely administered too much of the medication to Jackson by mistake.
Dr. Steven Shafer, a propofol expert, took the stand during Murray’s trial and testified that Murray made 17 medical violations when administering the drug to Jackson and that his behavior as a so-called physician was completely inexcusable. While testifying, Shafer reflected on Murray’s actions, stating,
“I almost don’t know what to say. That is so completely and utterly inexcusable. We are in pharmacological never-never land here, something that was done to Michael Jackson and no one else in history to my knowledge….A competent doctor would know you do not do this.”
Michael Jackson passed away on June 25, 2009, from acute benzodiazepine and propofol intoxication.
[Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images]