HBO’s Game of Thrones is known more for its dragons and nudity than its swearing, but rest assured there’s plenty of that too. So, if there was ever anyone who was perfect to recap a show such as Game of Thrones, then Samuel L. Jackson is your man. And recently he did just that for HBO.
Game of Thrones can be a confusing series for those of us who are obsessed with it. Consider the cast alone. There are a multitude of main characters that fans have to remember over time because, in Game of Thrones, just because you are a main character, it doesn’t mean you will be in every episode — or even every season. Remember Bran Stark? He missed an entire season of air time recently. Then there is an even greater number of second tier characters to help move the plot along, and lets not forget all the red shirts ready to be sacrificed in battle or at Cersei’s whim.
Besides the main characters, there is a lot of history to learn about Game of Thrones. As Samuel L. Jackson points out, much of this history happened before the show started. But, never fear newbie, he will catch you up on all the important things.
- Why Robert Baratheon was king
- Who the Targaryens are and why they think they have more right to the iron throne than the Baratheons
- Who Robert Stark is in the scheme of things (Spoiler Alert: he’s Hand of the King, or the right hand man according to Samuel L. Jackson) and why you should never get attached to any Stark
- Who Jon Snow is and why he is important
- What you should do if you should get a wedding invitation in Westeros (Hint: Decline, decline, decline!)
- Why everyone seems to want to be King (or Queen, in Cersei’s case)
- A look at the weather in Westeros and why everyone should be worried about it and the White Walkers rather than fighting among themselves
- Why the Lannisters have a more complex family tree than the Targaryens
As well as explaining Game of Thrones to the novice, Samuel L. Jackson also glosses over all those boring bits that you never know are important until something exciting happens and you are left trying to work out why. As Jackson explains.
“Now some time has passed now, and all hell has broken loose because of some things I don’t have time to explain. Just know that in all seven of the kingdoms of Westeros, peacetime is done with.”
However, just as fans get into the Game of Thrones recap and the infamous Season 5 finale cliffhanger involving Jon Snow, it is time to wind things up.
“Sorry folks, we’ve run out of time. Shame, shame, shame, because all of this is nothing compared to what we didn’t have a chance to get into. The backstabbing, the lying, the cheating, the parts that’ll make you feel uncomfortable, the parts that will break your heart, epic battles. I mean you need to see it for yourself, you really do.”
So, if you are a newbie to the Game of Thrones universe and don’t have the time to catch up on all the main characters that reside within Westeros and its surrounding regions, relax. In just under eight minutes from now Samuel L. Jackson will have you up to speed. But, just be warned, Samuel L. Jackson swears like, well, Samuel L. Jackson.
What do you think of Samuel L. Jackson’s recap of the entire series of HBO’s Game of Thrones? Who else would you like to see do a recap of Game of Thrones? Let us know by commenting below!
According to a recent interview with Deadline, Game of Thrones will return to HBO with a shortened Season 7 in 2017.
[Image via HBO]