Missouri Cop Shot in Ambush Gets Justice, Attacker Verified And Charged

A Missouri cop was reportedly shot and injured during a traffic stop in suburban St. Louis.

The 9-year police veteran Mike Flamion was “ambushed” while he was walking back to his patrol car to check the suspect’s driving status, according to STL Today.

The Ballwin Police Department released a statement late Saturday saying the officer has just joined the force two years ago after he got stationed in De Soto for seven years. The entire department noted that Flamion was shot from behind. He was in critical condition when he was brought to the hospital, but he has been announced to be in a stable condition now.

According to CBS News, the statement noted that Flamion “is highly regarded by everyone in the department. His sense of humor and professional demeanor make him a centerpiece of our department.”

The department also expressed their appreciation to everyone who have been supportive of Flamion and the Ballwin Police.

After the attacker was verified to be the 31-year-old Antonio Taylor, the Ballwin police chief declined to speculate on the motive behind, it if had anything to do with race or not. Flamion was a white police officer, while Taylor is a black parolee. The event also happened just a day after five Dallas officers were killed by black men in Louisiana and Minnesota.

“Make no mistake: We believe during this investigation that Ballwin officer was ambushed, period,” St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said.

According to St. Louis County Prosecutor Bob McCulloch, there was no evidence that there had been a dispute between Taylor and Flamion. They reported that as officer Flamion walked back the car to process the paperwork, Taylor “advanced quickly” and fired three shots at the officer, leaving Flamion with “no chance” to pull his handgun.

The event was even caught on a police dashcam, according to Yahoo. The recording showed that the shooting happened at around 11 a.m. As the officer pulled over to speak with Taylor about speeding, Taylor reportedly “exited his vehicle, approached the officer’s car, fired three shots, returned to his vehicle and fled.”

The witnesses immediately called out to 911 to report. Taylor was tracked down and captured after a short foot pursuit. He was seen with a semi-automatic handgun, which the officials believe to be the gun used for shooting Flamion.

Taylor was actually on parole. He has been on probation for stolen vehicle in Oklahoma and was then traced back for gun charge in California. He got a prison term for being a felon in possession of a firearm, but he got out in March, 2015.

Taylor is now being held on a $500,000 cash bond and he is expected to be arraigned on felony charged on Monday.

Missouri Governor Jay Nixon was taken aback by the event. He said that it was a tragedy. Though he was set to be gone for an eight-day trade mission, Gov. Nixon said he would come back earlier to deal with the event.

The Missouri police department are now taking local precautions to minimize these kinds of events. St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson also said that the officers will now be working in pairs “until further notice.” At the same time, the officers will be asked to wear bullet-resistant vests while on duty.

Meanwhile, another incident in Bristol, Tennessee. also involved a roadside killing of a female motorist. It was reported by Wall Street Journal that the event was “motivated by the Louisiana and Minnesota shootings.”

The investigators identified the suspect as Lakeem Keon Scott. Scott was also hospitalized and he is being held accountable for the four victims involved in the incident.

[Photo by St. Louis County police via AP Images]