The 2016 Republican National Convention should be the crowning moment of Donald Trump’s political career. Most political pundits expected Trump’s presidential bid to end well before the Republican National Convention. Yet, the mogul surprised everyone by not only being a viable presidential candidate but easily claiming the nomination.
The Republican rank and file, those who live far from Washington D.C. and are largely tired of its antics, can’t get enough of Donald Trump. Unfortunately, almost everyone else hates the presumptive GOP nominee. That disconnect propelled Donald Trump to the big event in Cleveland, but it has also put the National Convention in jeopardy.
According to ABC News, companies have started pulling out of deals to sponsor or provide products to this year’s Republican National Convention. Apple reportedly had a private meeting with GOP officials in June. During the meeting, Apple CEO Tim Cook reportedly refused to provide money or products to support the convention. Similar meetings allegedly took place between the Republican party and HP Inc., Ford, JPMorgan Chase, and UPS. Microsoft will provide products but won’t give the GOP any money to support the convention.
The absence could cost the GOP millions of dollars to support the 2016 Republican National Convention. None of the companies have made public statements to explain their reason for distancing themselves from the Republican National Convention, but it seems likely that Donald Trump’s perceived inflammatory rhetoric and liberal activism led to the decisions.
While the loss is significant, it might not be as much of a blow to Donald Trump as liberal activists hoped. Republican organizers say they have 90 percent of the funds they need, but they would not provide a list of donors. Many of the companies that are refusing to donate to the 2016 Republican National Convention either haven’t been major money providers in the past or seem to be pulling out of politics entirely. UPS, Ford Motor Co., JPMorgan Chase, and Coca-Cola have all decided to sit out both conventions.
Meanwhile, as construction on the stage and floor space of the Republican National Convention continues, Donald Trump is scrambling to prove wrong claims that mainstay Republican politicians are abandoning his campaign. As previously reported by the Inquisitr, rumors spread last week that the presumptive Republican nominee has had trouble filling speaking slots at the 2016 Republican Convention. Mitt Romney and Senator Jon McCain both refused to attend the convention, likely in protest of Trump’s nomination. It is worth noting that Donald Trump has said all of the speaking slots are filled.
Donald Trump initially promised to release the list of speakers at the 2016 Republican National Convention on Wednesday, July 6. There was no announcement made on July 6, but there may be a good reason for that. The controversial police shootings of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile occurred on July 5 and July 6, respectively. The Dallas Sniper shooting occurred on July 7. As the United States struggles to come to grips with questions of racial equality, gun ownership, and criminal justice, it’s possible the Trump campaign decided now was not the time to make an announcement.
News of several prominent speakers slated for the 2016 Republican National Convention has leaked. According to the New York Times, Senator Joni Ernst of Iowa will speak at the convention. Ernst will speak during prime-time coverage, a prominent speaking slot. Governor Scott Walker of Wisconsin is also expected to speak at the convention. Perhaps the biggest surprise is the addition of Senator Ted Cruz. Donald Trump previously said that he would not allow his former opponents, Governor Jon Kasich and Senator Ted Cruz, to speak at the convention unless they endorsed him first. Last week, Senator Cruz revealed that he will speak at the convention, but so far, he has not endorsed Donald Trump, nor has he suggested that he will.
[Photo by Marc Piscotty/Getty Images]