NXT TakeOver: The End left Samoa Joe, Asuka, and The Revival as the title-holders of their respective NXT divisions, including men, women, and tag teams. On this week’s episode of WWE NXT, the title pictures for all three championships become a little clearer. Although Samoa Joe’s match against Oney Lorcan didn’t make the cut for this week’s WWE NXT, Shinsuke Nakamura discusses beating Finn Balor before moving on to Joe’s NXT Championship. Of course, Balor has some words of his own about his past and his future with the King of Strong Style.
— WWE (@WWE) June 30, 2016
Additionally, American Alpha return to Full Sail University for the first time since losing the NXT Tag Team Championship to The Revival at NXT TakeOver: The End, while the team of Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa try to prove their own title worthiness in a match against the Hype Bros. Meanwhile, Alexa Bliss is in action against Carmella and has some choice words for Bayley regarding the NXT Women’s Championship.
Note: The following contains the full results and spoilers for the episode of WWE NXT that first aired on the WWE Network on June 29.
Alexa Bliss pinned Carmella
With Asuka’s clean victory over Nia Jax at NXT TakeOver: The End, the NXT Universe has been wondering who will get the next shot at the NXT Women’s Championship. With Bayley’s successful return to in-ring action, many assume she will get another title shot. However, after cleanly defeating Carmella in singles competition using the Twisted Bliss — and reminding everyone that she didn’t get pinned in the No. 1 Contenders Triple Threat Match — Alexa Bliss informed Bayley that not everyone thought the former champion deserved another opportunity. It was announced later in the broadcast that Bayley vs. Alexa Bliss has been booked for next week’s episode of NXT, with the winner being declared the new No. 1 contender for the NXT Women’s Championship.
Finn Balor vs. Shinsuke Nakamura recap
NXT offers a brief recap of the in-ring encounter between Shinsuke Nakamura and Finn Balor, followed immediately by a new interview with the King of Strong Style. He talks briefly about his history with Finn in Japan and his desire to prove himself by beating the NXT Icon before challenging Samoa Joe for the NXT Championship.
Bayley’s interview interrupted by Alexa Bliss
Bayley was interviewed backstage about her return. This was the point at which Alexa Bliss challenged the idea that Bayley deserved another shot at the NXT Women’s Championship. Bliss argued that she wasn’t pinned in the Triple Threat Match (Nia Jax pinned Carmella) to determine the No. 1 contender, so she should be next in line. Corey Graves made the announcement just before the next match that Bayley vs. Alexa Bliss would take place on July 6 to determine who challenges Asuka next.
Andrade “Cien” Almas pinned Noah Potjes
Throughout the program, this was easily the segment in which the NXT Universe expressed the least amount of enthusiasm. Andrade’s “Cien” gimmick hasn’t quite caught on yet. Luckily, he’s very talented in the ring, so he has plenty of time to change things up. He used a rushing double knee smash to Potjes in the corner to pick up the victory in this match.
Austin Aries and Finn Balor interviews
After attacking No Way Jose last week, Austin Aries explained his actions in a backstage interview this week. He said that the NXT fans don’t appreciate Austin for how great he truly is and that if they want to boo him, he’ll give them a good reason. From now on, according to Aries, all of his actions will be to make the fans want to boo him.
In a new interview about his match against Shinsuke Nakamura, Finn talked about how Nakamura helped him transition to living and wrestling in Japan. He wants to return that favor to Shinsuke and is excited to get another chance to wrestle him.
Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa defeated Zack Ryder and Mojo Rawley
This was the main event, and the crowd got two tag teams that represent the two different things that the fans love about NXT. With Gargano and Ciampa, you have a pair of extremely talented athletes that did well in the indies and are finally getting their chance to shine. With The Hype Bros, you have the exaggerated personalities and energy that drew a lot of lifelong fans to professional wrestling during the Hulk Hogan era of the 1990s. After pinning Ryder, they got on the mic, claiming that they deserve a shot at the NXT Tag Team Champions. American Alpha came out and said that the former champs were next in line.
The Revival came out and said that they didn’t think either team deserved a title shot. William Regal came out and said that next week’s WWE NXT would feature The Revival vs. American Alpha for the NXT Tag Team Championship in a 2 out of 3 Falls Match. Before the show was over, Paul Ellering and the Authors of Pain showed up. They beat down both American Alpha and Garano and Ciampa, remaining the last team standing on WWE NXT this week.
These results have been confirmed by WWE.com’s official NXT results page.
RELATED REPORTS BY THE INQUISITR
- WWE News — ‘NXT TakeOver: Dallas’ (The Live Experience & Results)
- Who are ‘The Bullet Club’ And Why Do They Matter?
- WWE News: Upcoming WWE NXT Takeover Special Not ‘The End’ Of NXT Specials, New Format Coming?
- WWE NXT Commentator Corey Graves To Work On Main Roster Announce Team After Brand Split? [WWE News]
Announced for WWE NXT on July 6
Two matches have already been confirmed for the July 6 episode of WWE NXT on the WWE Network. Bayley vs. Alexa Bliss is scheduled to determine the No. 1 contender for Asuka’s NXT Women’s Championship. Meanwhile, American Alpha get their rematch for the NXT Tag Team Championship against The Revival in a 2 Out Of 3 Falls Match.
— ✭Brando✭ (@DallasProdigy83) June 30, 2016
Updated NXT TakeOver: Back To Brooklyn Card
Nothing has been made official about this year’s NXT event in the Barclays Center except that it will be named NXT: Back to Brooklyn and that tickets sold out in less than one hour. However, given the current storylines and the upcoming WWE Draft, the following matches seem likely for the August 20 event.
- NXT Championship — Samoa Joe (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura: With Finn’s likely move to the main roster as part of the WWE Draft, there’s no reason to think Nakamura won’t defeat Bálor and then move on to challenge for the NXT Championship.
- NXT Tag Team Championship Match — The Revival (c) vs. Johnny Gargano & Tommaso Ciampa: American Alpha will likely lose their rematch and then finish things up with the Authors of Pain before moving to the main roster exclusively after the WWE Draft. That leaves Ciampa and Gargano easily as the next best option to challenge The Revival at TakeOver.
- NXT Women’s Championship Match — Asuka (c) vs. Bayley: An epic title match with someone like Asuka would be a great send-off for Bayley as she seems ready to make the transition to the main roster.
- American Alpha vs. The Authors of Pain: As with Finn and Bayley, NXT TakeOver: Back To Brooklyn could be the last match under the NXT brand for American Alpha, who are more than ready to move up to the main roster.
- Austin Aries vs. Finn Balor — One way for Austin to make the fans hate him would be to send Finn Balor away for good. That could be a condition of the match, and something that Aries brags about until he’s brought up to the main roster himself.
Where to Watch
The WWE Network airs new episodes of WWE NXT on Wednesdays at 8/7c. It is available for streaming on-demand immediately. NXT TakeOver: Back to Brooklyn will air exclusively on the WWE Network on August 20.
Additionally, on Thursdays, replays of WWE NXT are available to stream on-demand with a Hulu Plus subscription.
[Photo via WWE]