Michael Jackson: New Book ’83 Minutes’ Reveals Shocking Details About The King Of Pop’s Final Hours

Michael Jackson

A new book about Michael Jackson titled 83 Minutes: The Doctor, the Damage, and the Shocking Death of Michael Jackson reveals some pretty shocking revelations about the death of the “King of Pop,” and it discusses previously unpublished details of the police investigation that took place after Jackson’s death. The book, written by authors Mark Langthorne and Matt Richards, discusses the events that occurred between the time Dr. Conrad Murray left a heavily drugged Jackson alone in his bedroom and the moment Jackson arrived on a gurney at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.

Since the reasons for the death of Michael Jackson are already known, what the authors examine in the book is a work of collecting all the details and clues on the day of his death, so as to get a better understanding of what happened in his final hours. The publication indicates that Jackson’s death was years in the making and Dr. Murray fueled his drug addiction by giving him large amounts of Propofol in an effort to cure his insomnia.

“Dr. Conrad Murray had already ordered some 5,900ml of Propofol,” an excerpt from 83 Minutes explains. “To put this amount into some sort of perspective, a typical hospital with nine anesthetists working 10-hour days every day of the week would use around 5,000ml a week.”

The book indicates that the doctor told police for nine hours he administered Jackson Valium, Lorazepam, and Midazolam. According to People, Jackson often took Propofol with Demerol and his increased daily drug intake wreaked havoc on the superstar’s health. Kenny Ortega, director for This is It, noted that Jackson often appeared “weak” and “fatigued,” comparing him to a “lost boy.” During rehearsals in London, Jackson often forgot song lyrics, and on the phone with son Prince Jackson, then 12, he cried, “They’re going to kill me,” the book says.

During the trial, Dr. Murray testified that 20 minutes after he administered 25mg of Propofol to Jackson, at 10:40 a.m., the singer was sleeping. He told police that he only left the room to go to the bathroom, but records of phone calls revealed that Murray was on the phone with several people, including a girlfriend between 11:07 and 11:51. It wasn’t until 12:05 p.m. that anyone else in the house even realized something was amiss.

“When Murray dialed [his girlfriend] at 11:51 a.m., it would be another 83 minutes before the gurney carrying the stricken body of Michael Jackson was rushed into the ER of the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center,” the book reads, “and an incredible 134 minutes after Murray, according to his statement, had come back into Jackson’s bedroom, after going to the toilet, to find the singer not breathing.”

The authors wrote that Dr. Conrad Murray was not, nor ever would have been, suited to be the caretaker of a complicated patient like Michael Jackson, and that “from the moment they met, their fate was sealed.” In fact, the authors put a specific date to Jackson’s demise and they suggest that January 27, 1984, was “the beginning of the end” for the singer. That day, Jackson suffered third-degree burns while filming an advertisement. The pain and recovery made him take Percocet, Darvocet, and Demerol and he began a dependence on them that lasted for decades. For that reason — 83 Minutes explains — the real importance of Dr. Conrad Murray in the death of Jackson was not the day of his death, but the fact that Jackson became more reliant on a physician who was reportedly facing his own money troubles.

Conrad Murray was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the death of Michael Jackson in November 2011 and was sentenced to four years in prison; in 2013 he was released.

[Photo by Carlo Allegri/Getty Images]