We learned that we would be getting two Justice League movies, Part 1 and Part 2, back in October of 2014. Now, after Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice has run its course at the box office, Empire learned that Zack Snyder’s Justice League movie will be a standalone film instead of a two-parter.
“We were only ever planning, and we are only doing, Justice League,” producer Deborah Snyder confirmed. Minor spoilers for Zack Snyder’s Justice League, as well as Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, up ahead.
Snyder made it clear that his Justice League film is a complete film, one that does not end with a cliffhanger or lead directly into a Part 2. A release date is still confirmed for a follow-up, so it looks like it’s going to be a regular sequel as opposed to a “second part.” It’s not clear whether this truly was the plan all along, or if this is a recent decision that was made based on the performance and reception of Batman v Superman. From how the director describes it, there’s no guarantee that he will return for the follow-up film.
Snyder’s Justice League will hit theaters November of 2017, and a plot synopsis for the film can be read below.
“Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman’s selfless act, Bruce Wayne enlists the help of his newfound ally, Diana Prince, to face an even greater enemy. Together, Batman and Wonder Woman work quickly to find and recruit a team of metahumans to stand against this newly awakened threat. But despite the formation of this unprecedented league of heroes—Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash—it may already be too late to save the planet from an assault of catastrophic proportions.”
Steppenwolf is going to be filmed via motion-capture and the role has yet to be cast, though Deborah Snyder says they are “close” to finding the right actor. Steppenwolf — an immortal possessing super strength, stamina, speed, and reflexes — is the uncle of Darkseid, and leads the military of Apokolips.
Along with that, JoBlo has learned a whole laundry list worth of new information about Justice League during their set visit.
- Artist Jack Kirby will apparently have an influence on the film.
- The Justice League forms and searches for three Mother Boxes; one on Earth, one in Atlantis, and one in Themyscira.
- Much of the movie focuses on Batman assembling the team, with Superman (seemingly coming back to life) joins them later, with longer hair.
- Batman will get a suit upgrade, and will even build a jet called the “Flying Fox” for the Justice League to use.
- Batman will also be using the “Nightcrawler,” a new vehicle designed by Thomas Wayne.
- Batman will help give Flash a new suit.
- Cyborg’s suit is going to be 100% CGI.
- Junkie XL will be providing the score for the movie, but no word on Hans Zimmer returning right now.
- Willem Dafoe’s role has been revealed as Vulko, a mentor to Aquaman.
- The tone of Justice League is going to be lighter than Batman v Superman.
- Justice League takes place months after the events of Batman v Superman.
Justice League will hit theaters November 17, 2017.
[Photo by Bryan Bedder/Getty Images for Bai Superteas]