With the big event just 10 days away, this week’s episode of SmackDown is all about WWE Money in the Bank 2016. Six of the seven contenders for the Money in the Bank contract have been announced, and all six of them will be in action on WWE SmackDown. The Lunatic Fringe takes on Y2J in singles action, while the team of Cesaro and Sami Zayn compete with Alberto Del Rio and Kevin Owens. While John Cena, Seth Rollins, and Roman Reigns may be absent from the taping, WWE is sure to run multiple Monday Night RAW Replays featuring all of the top-tier talent that skipped this week’s SmackDown.
Both the tag team division and the women’s division on WWE’s main roster have been on fire recently, and both divisions are on display this week on SmackDown. The Bullet Club (as John Cena finally called them on WWE RAW this week) will face off against NXT call-ups Enzo and Big Cass, while Charlotte’s BFF, Dana Brooke, takes on the Irish Lass-Kicker.
— WWE (@WWE) June 7, 2016
SmackDown spoilers are currently available for this week’s show, but a spoiler-free preview is below. Following the spoiler-free match list for this week’s SmackDown is a further look at the matches scheduled for Thursday night. This episode of WWE Thursday Night SmackDown, airing on the USA Network on June 9, was taped in Wichita, Kansas, on June 7.
WWE SmackDown Match-List Preview: June 9, 2016
- Enzo Amore & Big Cass vs. Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows
- Sami Zayn & Cesaro vs. Alberto Del Rio & Kevin Owens
- Becky Lynch vs. Dana Brooke
- Kalisto vs. Baron Corbin
- Dean Ambrose vs. Chris Jericho
In their official SmackDown preview, WWE brings up important points about each of the matches airing on Thursday night.
- Dean Ambrose and Chris Jericho resume rivalry in ‘SmackDown’ showdown — When the WWE talks about two wrestlers “resuming their rivalry,” it generally means that the WWE Universe is getting a match that they’ve seen time and time again. With Chris Jericho in the twilight of his in-ring career, this is not a match that fans will get to see too many more times in the future. Of course, this match primarily hypes the upcoming 7-man MITB Ladder Match.
- Enzo & Big Cass clash with Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson — The WWE’s tag team division is very hot right now, and both of these teams want to be the guys who end The New Day’s lengthy reign as WWE Tag Team Champions. Like the Ambrose/Jericho match, this is just a teaser for WWE Money in the Bank 2016, as these teams will join the Vaudevillains in a Fatal 4-Way Tag Team Match for The New Day’s gold.
RELATED REPORTS BY THE INQUISITR
- John Cena Will Be The Face Of ‘SmackDown’ When Brand-Split Happens In July [WWE News]
- WWE News: Larry Wilmore on ‘The Nightly Show’ Asks, Is Pro Wrestling Racist?
- Who are ‘The Bullet Club’ And Why Do They Matter?
- WWE: ‘Total Divas’ Recap — Nikki Bella Rehabs Injury With John Cena [News]
- Is John Cena Taking A Break From WWE To Be On ‘Celebrity Apprentice’? [WWE News]
- WWE News: The 2016 Superstar Draft — Who Will End Up On ‘Raw’ And Who Will Be On ‘SmackDown’ After The Brand Split?
- WWE ‘NXT TakeOver: The End’ Results — Bobby Rude, Paul Ellering, And A Title Change
- This Week’s ‘WWE Thursday Night SmackDown’ Spoilers [June 9] — New Title Match Added To MITB?
- Becky Lynch battles Dana Brooke one-on-one — It’s unclear whether the WWE is building towards a Women’s Championship Match at MITB 2016, a women’s tag team match, or neither. Dana Brooke got thrown into the mix when Emma was sidelined with an injury, replacing Ric Flair at Charlotte’s side. Monday Night RAW momentarily teased Dana turning on Charlotte this week, but their beat-down of Becky Lynch and Natalya is what set up this match for WWE SmackDown.
- Cesaro & Sami Zayn take on ‘Money’ foes Alberto Del Rio & Kevin Owens — Four of WWE’s best in-ring performers square off in tag team action before the Money in the Bank Ladder Match on June 19. One very important question remains about that ladder match: who is the seventh man?
- Kalisto faces Baron Corbin — Sin Cara’s tag team partner had a decent run as the United States Champion, but it looks like WWE has already run out of ideas for Kalisto. This match is all about Dolph Ziggler’s feud with New Era superstar Baron Corbin. The masked luchadore is merely an afterthought.
Where To Watch
USA airs WWE Thursday Night SmackDown weekly at 8/7c. Episodes of WWE SmackDown are made available to stream on-demand through the WWE Network several weeks after the episodes air on the USA Network. Replays of SmackDown are made available on-demand with a Hulu Plus subscription beginning Fridays. However, beginning July 19, WWE SmackDown will air live on Tuesday nights at 8/7c.
— WWE (@WWE) June 7, 2016
WWE Money in the Bank 2016 airs live on the WWE Network on Sunday, June 19 at 8/7c, and will be available to stream on-demand immediately. The Money in the Bank Kick-off Show begins at 7/6c.
[Image via WWE]