A Thai man had a near-death experience after a deadly cobra was found inside the toilet inside his home. According to Reuters, the 27-year-old man identified as Pollapat Laokamnerdpetch was about to use the restroom when he spotted the deadly serpent poking its head through the bowl.
Terrified at what he saw, he ran out of the toilet to ask for help. Rescue workers from a local animal rescue service arrived at Pollapat’s home a few hours later. However, they were unable to find the cobra inside the toilet, much to the horror of Pollapat’s family members. The rescuers later figured out that the cobra had managed to slither into the plumbing network and eventually managed to reach the septic tank. The team of rescuers then opened up the septic tank to look for the deadly snake, and after an effort lasting over 30 minutes, which included spraying the tank with pesticides to force the cobra out, they managed to find and remove the snake from the tank.
The cobra was nearly 1-meter long and is thought to be a young adult. The animal was quickly taken to the Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute in Bangkok, which specializes in handling venomous snakes. At this time, there is no clarity on what the officials plan to do with the snake. It is quite likely that the cobra could be eventually released into the wild.
Now, this is not the first time we have heard of an incident of a similar nature from Thailand. While Pollapat was lucky to have spotted the cobra before he actually started using the loo, another Thai man was not so lucky. Just a few days ago, we had reported about the case of Atthaporn Boonmakchuay, the Thai man who was bitten on his penis by a 10-foot python that had slithered through the plumbing of his home — ending up in the toilet.
Two snake attacks from toilet in a week in Thailand. What are all Thai snakes doing inside toilets?— Vivek S Nambiar (@ivivek_nambiar) June 7, 2016
Atthaporn reortedly screamed out aloud when he was bitten and made desperate attempts to free himself from the strong jaws of the snake. Eventually, he had to call in for help from his wife and a neighbor who tied a rope around the python’s head and tied the other end of the rope to a bathroom door. His painful ordeal lasted for over 30 minutes, after which the exhausted man passed out because of the excruciating pain.
Emergency workers were called in, after which Atthaporn was taken to a hospital. He had suffered severe blood loss — but was saved. The python was also eventually removed from his toilet and according to reports, did not suffer major injuries. Authorities confirmed that the animal would be released into the wild.
Another case of a man being bitten by a snake on this penis was reported last year from India when a 46-year-old farmer from the state of Jammu & Kashmir was bitten by a venomous snake on his penis while he was urinating in an open field. The snake that bit the man was later found to be a Levantine viper (Macrovipera lebetina), locally known as the “gunas.” An endangered species, the Levantine viper is known to inhabit northern Africa, much of the Middle-East, parts of Pakistan, and northern India. The man was taken to a hospital nearly three hours after he was bitten. However, doctors were still able to save him. He was, however, left with a grossly swollen penis which was covered with blisters in the area the snake’s fang had punctured the flesh.
In case you were planning a trip to Thailand sometime soon, are you worried now?
[Image via Pixabay]