T.I.’s New York Concert Leaves One Dead And Three Injured

Rapper T.I.’s Irving Plaza gig in New York ended in tragedy as shots rang out during his concert. According to the Associated Press, the shooting happened at 10:15 p.m. in New York at a club in Manhattan, leaving one person dead and three injured.

The shooting is said to have started from the upstairs levels, where rappers Maino and Uncle Murda were currently performing. It’s believed that shots rang out after a fist fight which quickly got heated.

At first, it was reported that a 33-year-old man was shot in the stomach and a 34-year old man was shot in the chest. Both were carried off to the hospital, but 33-year-old Ronald McPhatter, who was shot in the stomach, later died from his injuries. A 26-year-old woman was shot in the leg but is expected to make a recovery.

Rapper Troy Ave was identified as one of the four people who were injured at the Irving Plaza performance. Reports have said that the rapper was shot in the leg but is expected to make a full recovery.

At the time that the gunshots went off, T.I. was not yet on stage. He was supposed to take the stage and perform a set, but he never came on due to the incident.

Thus far, no arrests have been made, and according to NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce, “We are about 12 hours into it. We are speaking to people now, people are coming forward with some stories. We are also monitoring social media to see if this beef was instantaneous last night, or it was an ongoing beef that precipitated this entire event.”

It’s said that the gunman in question and the victims were VIP members, and they were located in the green room when shots rang out. According to the officials, those involved in the shooting all have prior records with the law.

A video filmed from one of the upper tiers shows the crowd fleeing the hysteria as the shots rang out.

NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton released the following statement to WCBS 880.

“The crazy world of the so-called rap artists who are basically thugs that basically celebrate the violence they live all their lives and, unfortunately, that violence often manifests itself during the performances and that’s exactly what happened last evening.”

At the time of the shooting, there were over 900 occupants in the room. Although the shooting took place at the T.I. concert, the rapper isn’t a suspect in connection with the deadly shooting.

That said, T.I. has a history of his own when it comes to packing heat.

Back in 2007, T.I., whose real name is Clifford Harris Jr., was arrested for carrying three unregistered machine guns and two silencers. He later pleaded guilty in court in 2008 and was sentenced to prison and had a year of house arrest. In 2009, he began his prison sentence in Arkansas and was relocated to a halfway house in Atlanta, and later released in March of 2010.

Trouble lurked around the corner as he got into trouble again and was arrested on drug charges in Los Angeles. The rapper went on to serve in 2010 for 11 months due to violating his probation.

So far, T.I. hasn’t released a statement about the shooting during his concert.

[Photo by Donald Bowers/Getty Images for Connected Ventures]