Earlier this week, a crazy rumor that suggested Floyd Mayweather was going to come out of retirement to face current UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor in a boxing bout began to make the rounds.
Now, Conor McGregor is insisting that a fight between he and the retired boxing mega-star is going to take place at some point this year, as the UFC star tweeted out a photo of the poster for the rumored fight, which is being advertised as "boxing vs. MMA."
According to The Sun in the United Kingdom, Floyd Mayweather would receive $144 million to do the fight, whereas McGregor would receive a fraction of that, getting $10.1 million to do the fight.
When asked about the McGregor vs. Mayweather rumor, UFC president Dana White said that the fight isn't happening.
"It's not true; it's just a tabloid story. And as far as I knew, Floyd is retired and he's been on a world-wide vacation and hasn't even been thinking of fighting."
Earlier this month, Mayweather hinted that he was going to come out of retirement during an interview with Showtime, saying that he has been in talks with CBS and the aforementioned Showtime.
"Everyone is asking me, 'Is Floyd Mayweather coming back?' Right now, I'm happy being on this side, but I've been talking with CBS and Showtime, and you just never know. But right now, I'm just happy on this side."
On Sunday morning, a video on Instagram surfaced where Mayweather said that the rumored fight with Conor McGregor just might happen. He also said that the rumor was started by him and that it actually may not be a rumor, suggesting that the fight will happen at some point.
Conor McGregor is currently under contract with the UFC, so he cannot fight elsewhere without the company's blessing. So, unless Dana White decides to let the fight happen, which is extremely unlikely, then it won't happen.
Now, if Floyd Mayweather wants to fight Conor McGregor inside the UFC's Octagon, then Dana White will, without a doubt, let the fight happen. But, Mayweather probably has no interest in doing an MMA fight.
McGregor was pulled from this coming July's UFC 200 event several weeks ago due to his refusal to attend a press-conference, and shoot a commercial for the event. His fight with Nate Diaz, which was going to be the show's main event, was replaced with Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier.
The relationship between McGregor and the UFC hasn't been great since the featherweight champ was pulled from July's big show, and it's unclear when he'll end up returning to the Octagon. Dana White says that it could happen at UFC 201, or even at the company's first show in Madison Square Garden this coming November. But, he won't put McGregor back on the UFC 200 card.
[Image via Steve Marcus / Getty Images]