Note: The following contains spoilers for both WWE Main Event and WWE Superstars, which first aired on Hulu Plus on May 6.
As Shane McMahon leads the new era of WWE to Extreme Rules next month, the influx of young talent is making the roster a little too full. As WWE announced the releases of several WWE Superstars on May 6, it would appear that the last televised WWE matches for Damien Sandow would have come at the WWE Main Event and WWE Superstars tapings. Neither show airs on network television, and the replays aren't added to the WWE Network until 18 days after they are available on Hulu Plus. Sandow faces a newly repackaged Darren Young on Superstars, and Apollo Crews takes on Heath Slater and the Social Outcasts.Meanwhile, on WWE Main Event, both Damien Sandow and Apollo Crews are back. Sandow faces Young's former tag team partner, Titus O'Neil, while Apollo Crews is in action against Viktor. Sandow's former Rhodes Scholars tag team partner, Stardust, is in the main event against Dolph Ziggler, while Baron Corbin takes on Sin Cara.
Of course, on both Superstars and Main Event, some attention is given to the feud between WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns, his cousins the Usos, and Bullet Club members AJ Styles, Karl Anderson, and Luke Gallows.
WWE Superstars results
This episode was taped in St. Louis, Missouri, on May 2. Tom Phillips and Byron Saxton provided live commentary, and Greg Hamilton was the ring announcer.
- Darren Young pinned Damien Sandow after hitting the Gut Check (5:10). This program was taped before WWE SmackDown, so no specific mention was made of Bob Backlund, although they did mention that Young was seeking the advice of WWE Legends. This would have been Damien Sandow's second-to-last televised match with WWE.
- A replay is shown of Stephanie McMahon and Shane McMahon from WWE Monday Night RAW followed by a replay of Stephanie as a guest of Dean Ambrose on "The Ambrose Asylum." McMahon ultimately cancelled The Lunatic Fringe's talk show after he showed images of Triple H's wife getting speared by Roman Reigns at WWE Payback 2016.
- After a promo for WWE Extreme Rules starring Dean Ambrose, they showed a replay of the battle royal from WWE RAW that Rusev won to become the new No. 1 contender for the WWE United States Championship.
- A short video package of Apollo Crews was shown in preparation for his match against Heath Slater later in the show.
- A quick vignette is shown of Primo and Epico in Puerto Rico.
- Apollo Crews pinned Heath Slater of the Social Outcasts after hitting a spin-out powerbomb (7:10).
- The final segment of WWE Superstars was a replay of the 6-Man Tag Team Match from WWE RAW featuring Roman Reigns & The Usos vs. AJ Styles, Karl Anderson, and Luke Gallows (The Bullet Club).
RELATED REPORTS BY THE INQUISITR
- WWE News: Who Are The 'Bullet Club' And Why Do They Matter?
- WWE Rumors: Interesting Reason Why The Undertaker Was Pulled From European Tour And His 'WrestleMania 33' Status
- WWE News — 'NXT TakeOver: Dallas' (The Live Experience & Results)
- WWE: 'Total Divas' Recap — Nikki Bella Rehabs Injury With John Cena [News]
- Is John Cena Taking A Break From WWE To Be On 'Celebrity Apprentice'? [WWE News]
WWE Main Event results
This episode was taped in Kansas City, Missouri, on May 3. Tom Phillips and Jerry "The King" Lawler provided live commentary, and Greg Hamilton was the ring announcer.
- Titus O'Neil pinned Damien Sandow after hitting Clash of the Titus (3:50). If Sandow didn't work any live events on May 4 or May 5, then this would have been his last match with WWE.
- Stardust had a pre-recorded promo for his match against Dolph Ziggler.
- Apollo Crews pinned Viktor after hitting a spin-out powerbomb (4:30).
- Baron Corbin pinned Sin Cara after hitting the End of Days (3:45). Baron Corbin was introduced as the "Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal winner" and was very over in front of his hometown crowd.
- A recap of the Roman Reigns/Usos/AJ Styles/Bullet Club feud was shown, covering WWE Payback 2016 and WWE Monday Night Raw the following night.
- Dolph Ziggler defeated Stardust after connecting with a superkick (9:45). The main event of Main Event was a match worthy of at least a PPV kick-off show.
Where To Watch
WWE Payback is currently available to stream on-demand on the WWE Network. WWE Extreme Rules will air live on the WWE Network on Sunday, May 22 at 8/7c.
New episodes of WWE Superstars are taped every week prior to WWE Monday Night RAW. New episodes air later that week on Hulu Plus and are also available to stream on-demand through the WWE Network several weeks later.New episodes of WWE Main Event are taped every week prior to WWE Thursday Night SmackDown. New episodes air later that week on Hulu Plus and are also available to stream on-demand through the WWE Network several weeks later.
[Image via WWE]