Floyd Mayweather Jr. has been coy about a potential comeback for the past several months, but the boxing legend may have just accidentally revealed his plans to return to the ring for one final bout.
Mayweather made clear his intention to retire after his September bout against Andre Berto, a fight Mayweather won easily to bring his final record to 49-0. But many boxing analysts believed even at the time that Mayweather had no intention to stay retired for good, that the draw of a record-breaking 50 wins a one final huge payday would draw him back for one more fight.
It appears they may be right.
In April, the company owned by Mayweather filed trademarks for “TMT 50” and “TBE 50.” As ESPN noted, it seems to be a clear step toward a comeback for Mayweather.
“‘TMT’ stands for ‘The Money Team’ and ‘TBE’ stands for ‘The Best Ever.’ If Mayweather fights again, it would be fight No. 50 of his career.”
“Mayweather Promotions is among the most aggressive athlete businesses, when it comes to dreaming up and seeking to protect trademarks. The company has more than 35 trademarks and has filed for more than 140 others.”
Until this weekend, Floyd Mayweather Jr. had not spoken publicly about his potential comeback plans, instead saying in a recent interview that he’s looking to get into the other side of fighting as an MMA promoter.
“They want me back, but it’s time for me to move on to MMA,” he said via Bloody Elbow. “It’s time for me to start promoting fights, you know, for the MMA. You know, I’m ready to get involved in that business now. Of course, you already know what the MGM Grand stands for, ‘Mayweather Gets Money.’ I’m still doing that, every month the check comes in. We’re talking about my smart investments.”
Back in September, Floyd Mayweather Jr. seemed quite content at the thought of leaving boxing for good.
“I’ve accomplished everything, there’s nothing else to accomplish,” Mayweather said via the Guardian. “Money don’t make me, I make money.”
Mayweather also shot down the idea of returning several times, saying in interviews that he was content to stay retired. Mayweather has other business ventures to keep him busy and said he had no draw to fight one last time with the chance to one-up Rocky Marciano’s perfect 49-0 record.
But on Saturday, Mayweather changed his tune, admitting for the first time that he had been in talks with Showtime and CBS for a potential return.
“Everyone is asking me, ‘Is Floyd Mayweather coming back? Right now, I’m happy being on this side, but I’ve been talking with CBS and Showtime, and you just never know. But right now, I’m just happy on this side.”
The exact parameters — including who Mayweather’s opponent might be — have not yet been discussed, but it would likely be a huge payday. Mayweather’s fight against Manny Pacquiao in May 2015 netted Mayweather more than $220 million, and while it’s not likely he would see that astronomical of a sum again, the payoff would certainly be in the nine-figure range.
That is exactly what Floyd Mayweather Jr. is looking for. He said this weekend that in order to come out of retirement, it will take at least a $100 million payday. Judging by Mayweather’s action in trademarking the 50th fight apparel, it seems that he’s confident he will be able to get it.
[Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images]