Three days before WWE Payback 2016, World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns was in the spotlight on WWE Thursday Night SmackDown, joined, of course, by A.J. Styles, Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows (collectively, The Bullet Club).
Every championship was represented on this week’s SmackDown, the go-home show before Payback. Charlotte and Ric Flair were on Dean’s Ambrose Asylum along with Natalya to promote the WWE Women’s Championship Match at Payback with Bret Hart. WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day took over the announcer’s booth to watch Enzo Amore and Colin Cassady. WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns faced WWE Intercontinental Champion The Miz in the main event, and WWE United States Champion Kalisto was a part of what appears to be the final match for The League of Nations.
The full results for last night’s WWE SmackDown and the updated match-list for the WWE Payback 2016 card are below.
WWE Thursday Night SmackDown Results
The following includes all of the matches and their results from WWE SmackDown on April 28.
- Sheamus, Rusev and Alberto Del Rio were counted out as Cesaro, Kalisto and Sami Zayn defeated The League of Nations in a six-man tag team match
- Baron Corbin pinned Damien Sandow after hitting the End of Days
- Enzo Amore pinned Curtis Axel after hitting the Rocket Launcher (or “Alley-Oop”as The New Day called it) as Enzo & Big Cass defeated The Social Outcasts
- Apollo Crews pinned Stardust after hitting a spin-out powerbomb
- Roman Reigns pinned The Miz after hitting the Superman Punch
Other updates and storyline progressions:
- The show began with an in-ring segment featuring Roman Reigns, The Miz and Maryse, setting up the “Champion vs. Champion” main event. In a backstage interview with Renee Young, AJ Styles said he didn’t care that Reigns called him a liar. Styles was at ringside for the main event and got in the ring with Reigns afterwards, face-to-face. As Gallows and Anderson approached the ring, Reigns went after them and they beat him down. Styles didn’t help Reigns or call off the Bullet Club members. He also didn’t help Anderson and Gallows… until the Usos came out and eventually attacked The Phenomenal One. At the end of the show, both Reigns and Styles were left standing.
How will Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson impact the ‘WWE Payback’ main event as A.J. Styles challenges Roman Reigns for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship? [image via WWE]
- After their loss, all three members of The League of Nations brawled backstage and the faction appears to have broken up.
- Dean Ambrose hosted The Ambrose Asylum with Hall of Famer Ric Flair, WWE Women’s Champion Charlotte and No. 1 contender Natalya as guests to promote their match at WWE Payback. This was the now-infamous segment in which Flair told Natalya to “kill herself” that WWE obviously didn’t air.
- WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day made Byron Scott sit on the floor as they completely took over the announce table during the Enzo/Big Cass and Social Outcasts match. The Vaudevillains came out to the top of the ramp to watch. No physical altercation came of things, even after some post-match in-ring promos.
- Goldust approached R-Truth about Golden Truth, but Tyler Breeze had already formed the “Gorgeous Truth” with R-Truth after Goldust tried tagging with Fandango on WWE RAW.
RELATED REPORTS BY THE INQUISITR
- ‘WWE Monday Night RAW’ Results And Updated ‘WWE Payback’ Card [News]
- WWE News: Who Are The ‘Bullet Club’ And Why Do They Matter?
- ‘WWE NXT’ Results: New NXT Champion Samoa Joe — Will Finn Bálor Be At ‘Payback’ Now?
- WWE Raw Ratings Find New Lows: Is Roman Reigns to Blame?
- WWE News: WWE Superstar Seth Rollins Expected to Be in Chicago for WWE Payback
Updated WWE Payback Card
- Roman Reigns (c) vs. AJ Styles — WWE World Heavyweight Championship Match
- The Miz (c) vs. Cesaro — WWE Intercontinental Championship Match
- Charlotte (c) vs. Natalya — WWE Women’s Championship Match with Ric Flair and Bret Hart at ringside
- Kalisto (c) vs. Ryback — WWE United States Championship Match
- Enzo Amore & Big Cass vs. The Vaudevillains — WWE Tag Team Championship No. 1 Contenders Match
- Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn
- Chris Jericho vs. Dean Ambrose
- Baron Corbin vs. Dolph Ziggler
- Plus: Vince McMahon announces either Stephanie McMahon or Shane McMahon to be in charge of WWE Monday Night RAW.
The matches above were confirmed at WWE’s official Payback preview page.
Where To Watch
USA airs WWE Thursday Night SmackDown weekly at 8/7c. Episodes of WWE SmackDown are made available to stream on-demand through the WWE Network several weeks after the episodes air on the USA Network. Replays of SmackDown are made available on-demand with a Hulu Plus subscription beginning Friday.
WWE Payback airs live on the WWE Network on Sunday, May 1 at 8/7c. The Payback Kick-off Show begins at 7/6c. On the WWE Network, WWE Payback 2016 will be available to stream on-demand immediately after the event begins.
[Image via WWE]