Becky Lynch Invites Conor McGregor To Join WWE

Conor McGregor shocked the world on Tuesday when he announced his retirement from the UFC via his Twitter account. It was an absolute letdown for a big majority of MMA fans who are looking forward to his rematch with Nate Diaz at UFC 200. If his announcement is indeed final, Conor won’t be able to have his revenge rematch after Diaz handed him his first loss in the UFC.

“I have decided to retire young. Thanks for the cheese. Catch ya’s later,” Conor tweeted.

null

McGregor didn’t cite any reason for why he’s retiring, raising speculation among fans. There had been rumors that Conor will be headed to the WWE. It makes sense, given that he’s got the charisma and the mic skills for the job. His demeanor outside and inside the Octagon already makes for a bankable persona.

Becky Lynch, one of WWE’s top divas, took to Twitter to invite Conor McGregor to join the WWE, as reported in Fox News. Lynch is a fellow Irishman as well, which should give her the advantage in convincing Conor to take his considerable talents to what is considered the world’s most popular brand in sports entertainment.

null

Becky Lynch’s Twitter invitation was short and sweet: “#ComeJoinMeBro”

null

If “The Notorious” indeed comes to the WWE, he will join fellow Irishmen Sheamus and NXT champion Finn Balor. Can you imagine an all-Irish stable with Conor, Sheamus, Balor, and Becky Lynch wreaking havoc in the WWE? Perhaps Finlay and The Little Bastard can make a surprise appearance too. I’m sure Vince McMahon himself is already salivating at the idea considering McGregor’s popularity.

null

It’s possible that we are all getting ahead of ourselves on account of the manner in which Conor announced his retirement. The words and the tone just didn’t sound final. He didn’t take shots at the UFC and its organizers. He simply said he’s retiring.

null

A few hours after McGregor’s Twitter announcement, Dana White appeared on ESPN’s SportsCenter to announce that McGregor was pulled from UFC 200 for refusing to fly to Las Vegas for a news conference.

“Well, what’s happened is, we’ve pulled Conor McGregor from UFC 200,” White said. “And we’re working on other fights right now. Conor did not want to come to Las Vegas [this week] to film the commercial or be a part of any of the marketing that we have. He’s in Iceland training and [not participating in the marketing] is not possible. This has only happened one other time in UFC history.”

Now that Conor was pulled out of the card, what happens to Diaz? White told ESPN that they are setting up another match for him at UFC 200. He added that they are planning on putting up another high profile match for the event.

Does this mean that Conor McGregor won’t be able to fight in the Octagon even if he retracts his retirement? White confirmed that it is not the case, adding that they still “have a good relationship with Conor.”

“Obviously, we still have a good relationship with Conor,” White explained. “I respect Conor as a fighter and I like him as a person. [But] you can’t decide not to show up to these things. You have to do it. We were in constant communication back and forth between his manager and myself. I said, ‘Listen, I’m flying out of here at 2 o’clock. You have until 2 o’clock. We’re booking the flight for you and you have to say you’re accepting the fight and you’ll show up [in Las Vegas this week for the promotional activities.]’ “

[Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images]