The mid-season finale of History Channel's Vikings is fast approaching. Fans are expecting a massive clash between the two Viking brothers, Ragnar and Rollo. But will fans get to see this epic fight or will it be drawn out until the second part of Season 4?
SPOILER ALERT: This article contains information about Season 4 of History Channel's Vikings. Please proceed with caution if you wish to avoid spoilers.
The official synopsis for Episode 10 (entitled "The Last Ship") of Vikings seems to indicate the brothers will come head to head, at least.
"A ferocious battle between the Vikings and the French eventually comes down to Ragnar against Rollo and the outcome seals the fates of the two brothers."And the trailer for the mid-season finale starts with Rollo (Clive Standen) declaring "Victory or death," as he approaches what is assumed to be his brother Ragnar (Travis Fimmel) and the other Vikings. The end of the trailer also sees the brothers throw themselves at each other.
While fans will likely get to see the beginning of the battle between the Franks and the Vikings, what this battle is really all about is the outcome of years of betrayal between Ragnar and Rollo. Whether Paris falls to the Vikings is almost secondary for fans who have been anticipating this conflict with the dread of knowing that at least one of their beloved characters may die in Vikings. But will History Channel show the outcome of the battle, or will fans have to tune into the second half of Season 4 when it premieres later in the year to find out what happens between Ragnar and Rollo?
Only by tuning into the mid-season finale of Vikings will we know the outcome of Ragnar and Rollo's battle. But, until then, fans can get some insight on how Episode 10 will unfold via the official mid-season finale trailer. Here are the main things to note.
- The longships belonging to the Vikings seem to have gotten a makeover. Ragnar told Floki (Gustaf Skarsgard) in Episode 9 of Vikings that he had one more task for the boat maker. Could this new design be what Ragnar requested? If it is, one scene from the trailer shows it appears to be a way in which the Vikings can encourage the Franks to break through what appears to be flimsy woven structures. Once the Franks have done this, it makes it easier for the Vikings to round up the Franks and fight on their terms. A kind of captive audience, if you will.
- Floki gets a helmet. While this may or may not mean anything in the mid-season finale, it is interesting to note he is the only one wearing the new helmet. Could Floki have something else up his sleeve besides the new longship design?
- Rollo nearly gets killed by someone other than Ragnar. At the very start of the Episode 10 trailer, it appears Rollo's nephew, Bjorn (Alexander Ludwig) aims his crossbow at Rollo. The bolt narrowly misses Rollo. Imagine if Bjorn had killed Rollo without giving Ragnar a chance to defeat him? Things could have gotten messy between the father and son moving forward in Season 4 of Vikings if that were to have been the case.
- This episode could be a particularly bloody one. While there is very little dialogue in the Episode 10 trailer for Vikings, there is plenty of frenetic visuals. History Channel has gone with the classic season finale trailer adage of making it as fast and furious as possible to get the fans equally excited and confused. Once the trailer is slowed down though, it looks like there could be trouble ahead for at least three Vikings. Floki, Lagertha (Katheryn Winnick), and newcomer Halfdan the Black (Jasper Pääkkönen) all appear to be injured during the fierce battle. While both Floki and Lagertha are injured with swords, Floki's injury could be implied as the wound is never actually seen. If he is stabbed, though, it will be in the stomach and a far more serious injury than Lagertha's shoulder wound. Halfdan also sustains a shoulder injury, although his is a result of a crossbow bolt.
- The mid-season finale trailer for Vikings concludes with Ragnar proclaiming; "One of us will die today!" Just one, Ragnar? Only time will tell.
What do you think will happen between Ragnar and Rollo in the mid-season finale of Vikings? Let us know your thoughts and theories by commenting below!
Season 4 of Vikings returns to History Channel with Episode 10, entitled "The Last Ship" on Thursday, April 21, at 10 p.m. ET.
[Image via Jonathan Hession/A&E Network]