Fox News Channel anchor Megyn Kelly says she has received death threats since she questioned Donald Trump about his attitude toward women at the first Republican debate last August. Known for asking tough questions whether the person she’s interviewing is a Democrat or Republican, the question she posed to Trump changed the dynamic between the two.
— The Hill (@thehill) April 3, 2016
At the time, Kelly asked Trump, “You’ve called women you don’t like ‘fat pigs,’ ‘dogs,’ ‘slobs,’ and ‘disgusting animals.’ Does that sound to you like the temperament of a man we should elect as president?”
Trump replied, “What I say is what I say. And honestly, Megyn, if you don’t like it, I’m sorry, I’ve been very nice to you, although I could probably maybe not be, based on the way you have treated me. But I wouldn’t do that to you.”
On CBS Sunday Morning, Kelly admitted to host Charlie Rose that, in the months since asking Trump about the way he talks about women, “threats against her life” have been made. Rose asked about her reaction to Trump’s answer that day, and Kelly said she perceived what he said as a “veiled threat” because he said he may not be nice to her anymore.
With Trump’s attacks against Kelly thrusting her into the spotlight, she spoke about what concerns her most with the death threats she’s received from Trump supporters. She admitted she worries about someone trying to hurt her in front of her children. Kelly, 45-years-old, is married to author Doug Brunt, and the couple have three children under the age of seven.
“It’s not so much what he writes or says; it’s how he gins up anger among so many. So it manifests in my life in several ways. It’s not like I’m worried someone’s actually going to come shoot me down. But I do worry someone’s going to try to hurt me in the presence of my children.”
The New York Post reports that while Megyn Kelly has kept her cool though she’s been receiving death threats, her husband, Doug Brunt, isn’t happy, to say the least, about those threats made against his wife.
Brunt said, “I think one of the things that’s been most frustrating for Donald is that he has not been able to get a rise out of her even though he repeatedly tries to do so. For me, he gets a rise out of me, for sure.”
Speaking of being thrust into the spotlight, Kelly also chatted with Charlie Rose about gracing the cover of Vanity Fair.
— VANITY FAIR (@VanityFair) April 3, 2016
Trump’s attacks on Kelly over the last several months have ranged from blasting her on Twitter, where he called her “sick,” “highly overrated,” and “crazy.” He boycotted a Fox News debate, called her a “third-rate reporter,” and has accused Kelly of not treating him fairly.
Fox News has defended Kelly and last month said Trump has an “extreme, sick obsession with her.”
Kelly told Rose on his show that she never meant to become part of the story herself.
“That’s been unfortunate. That was never my goal,” Kelly said. “That’s never a newsperson’s goal. And yet it was the case.”
Though she’s received death threats from Trump supporters since openly feuding with him, she told Rose she would welcome Trump on her show, The Kelly File, at any time, even saying he wouldn’t have to apologize to her.
Before her troubles with Trump, Kelly was already a household name, although “the Donald” believes he’s the reason she’s been in the spotlight. Her show, The Kelly File, is one of the most-watched cable news shows, second only to Fox’s The O’Reilly Factor. She’s getting a prime time special on the Fox broadcast network next month.
While she was already known to many viewers, Kelly does think Trump’s attacks on her have boosted her profile.
— Megyn Kelly (@megynkelly) April 3, 2016
What do you think about Megyn Kelly receiving death threats from avid Trump supporters?
(Photo by Paul Morigi/Getty Images for Fortune/Time Inc)