The world spent most of today celebrating an astonishing feat of human intelligence as NASA’s Mars Curiosity Rover successfully landed on the red planet. But the world’s momentary glory of superior intelligence was stifled this morning when news broke that a man in the United Kingdom set his house on fire after he tried to dry his underwear by sticking them in the microwave.
According to the BBC, firefighters were called to a house in Weymouth, Dorset, to put out a raging underwear fire early this morning.
The Independent reports that a man stuck his underwear and his socks into the microwave in order to dry them. Unfortunately, the genius plan resulted in a house fire.
A Dorset Fire And Rescue spokesman said:
“The fire involved two pairs of underpants and two pairs of socks which the occupant had tried to dry by placing in the microwave. All items of clothing were destroyed in the fire and there was slight smoke damage to the remainder of the flat.”
The spokesman added that there is an important lesson to learn from the incident: “The fire safety message here is to never put clothing of any kind in the microwave or an oven to attempt to dry them.”
One the same day humanity puts a mobile lab on Mars they also set fire to their underpants in a microwave.
— james whetlor (@nopigtoobig) August 6, 2012