‘Star Wars’ Director J. J. Abrams Says 10 More Films In The Works While Actress Daisy Ridley Promises More ‘Episode VIII’ Footage

After the release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens and its subsequent success, Disney is reportedly planning an additional 10 Star Wars movies. In addition to planning a new slew of titles, they’re also reportedly planning a new group of character spin-offs.

The Daily Mail UK reported that director and executive producer J. J. Abrams said that Disney is planning some really cool things. He spoke to the Sun in Los Angeles, and although he revealed few of the details, he said that the success of Star Wars: The Force Awakens had given Disney a lot to consider about where to take the franchise next. An insider close to the project said that the technology was what originally held the project back from further development.

“So many characters’ back-stories can now be brought to life. When these ideas came from George Lucas 40 years ago, technology was lagging behind.”

The first Star Wars spin off, Star Wars: Rogue One, is slated for a December, 2016, release. Two more episodes in the trilogy are slated to be released, with Episode VIII already in production at London’s Pinewood Studios. With three further spin-offs planned, it looks like there may be further movies, with a new one being released every year.

Although little is known about the plot of Episode VIII at this time, it is set for a December, 2017, release. Star Wars Episode IX is set to be released in 2019, and coincides with the release of movies about both Han Solo and Boba Fett in 2018 and 2020. Both movies, depending on their success, have the potential to also inspire additional sequels.

As previously reported in Inquisitr, there have been many rumors surrounding Star Wars Episode VIII just as there were Star Wars: The Force Awakens. One of the rumors concerns the return of Hayden Christensen to reprise his role as Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. It is unclear in what capacity he will return, if he does return, because Darth Vader died at the end of the sixth episode, The Return of the Jedi.

Cinema Blend reported that Daisy Ridley, Rey in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, said that the trailer footage for Episode VIII will be very different from what was released for the seventh installment, The Force Awakens.

“I think Rian actually wants to be a bit cheekier with the little tidbits of information that come out. You can see, even with the way Mark and Carrie posted pictures with their chairs, it’s a little bit freer.”

So far, the plot of the Star Wars Episode VIII is a complete mystery. Although J. J. Abrams directed the seventh installment, this time he will only return as the executive producer for Episode VIII. The new director, Rian Johnson, finished writing the screenplay for the next installment before Star Wars: The Force Awakens was released. Johnson will direct the next installment, while Episode IX will be directed by Colin Trevorrow, who also directed Jurassic World.

Star Wars Episode VII tied all the trilogies together by bringing back old characters like Princess Leia, now General Leia, Luke Skywalker, and Han Solo. It introduced us to new characters like Rey, Finn, Poe Dameron, and gave fans a new villain in Kylo Ren, who is really Ben Solo, the son of General Leia and Han Solo, making the series a family legacy, with the good guys and bad guys coming from the same family. Fans will have to wait to see and dissect the latest Star Wars trailers, as Disney has not announced the release date for the trailers, although the movie release is set for a December 15, 2017, release date.

[Photo by WallpapersPal.com/LucasFilm]