At the conclusion of last week’s episode of WWE NXT, the NXT Universe knew three big things were happening in the upcoming weeks. While the 2 Out Of 3 Falls Match between Sami Zayn and Samoa Joe won’t air until the March 9 episode of NXT, this week’s episode features current NXT Champion Finn Bálor against former champion Neville in a non-title match. On top of that, NXT General Manager William Regal promised to reveal the newest major talent to sign with NXT on this week’s episode. While WWE made this particular signing public some time ago, they aren’t advertising his name for tonight’s episode on their official WWE NXT preview, so his name will be withheld from this spoiler-free preview.
— WWE (@WWE) February 25, 2016
In addition to the main event and the major signing, there are matches from both of NXT’s incredibly hot tag team and women’s divisions, and another match for Elias Samson, who appears to be a pet project of those in charge.
Since episodes of WWE NXT are taped several weeks in advance, NXT spoilers for the March 2 episode are available. The matches listed here not advertised by WWE have been confirmed by the NXT spoilers at Wrestling Inc, although the results of the matches have been omitted. All of the matches from this episode of WWE NXT were not taped at Full Sail University like most episodes. Rather, it was taped at the University of Central Florida on January 29 as part of the Royal Rumble weekend.
- The Vaudevillains vs. Hugo Knox & Tucker Knight — While the main WWE roster’s tag division remains competitive, the NXT tag team division is full of team’s ready to prove they can make a difference on Raw and SmackDown. The Vaudevillains are former NXT Tag Team Champions, reaching their peak as the regulars at Full Sail University grew fond of them and their unexpected alliance with Blue Pants. Now, they try to regain relevance by embracing the heel side of their characters that first got them noticed.
The Vaudevillains vs. Hype Bros— Zakiokawwe (@Zakioka_wwe) February 4, 2016
- Elias Samson vs. Steve Cutler — Samson’s character is an attempt at a millennial version of Jeff Jarrett, who was really just an attempt at a 90s version of the Honky Tonk Man. Cartoonish gimmicks like this get over with the NXT Universe but often fail to connect with the WWE Universe when they get a chance on the main roster. Can Elias Samson overcome the transition difficulties that still seem to plague guys like Bo Dallas, Adam Rose and The Ascension?
- Emma vs. Santana Garrett — Emma is another example of a quirky character that worked in Orlando but didn’t last long when taken on tour. Embracing a darker side and an allegiance with Dana Brooke as she re-brands in NXT, she faces Santana Garrett on tonight’s WWE NXT. While she’s a relatively new face to most of the NXT Universe, a quick look at Santana’s Twitter account shows her extensive and worldwide in-ring experience.
- NXT General Manager William Regal introduces the new NXT talent. If you’ve managed to remain in the dark about the announcement Regal is making tonight, and you are well-versed in the world of professional wrestling outside of the enormous WWE umbrella, then you’ll be really excited to see who officially becomes a part of the NXT roster on tonight’s episode.
- NXT Champion Finn Bálor vs. Neville — While Finn’s quest to become the longest-reigning NXT Champion of all time nears it’s completion, he finds himself in another non-title match that should prove to show why he’s the man holding the most important title of the NXT brand.
Where To Watch
New episodes of WWE NXT air on the WWE Network on Wednesday evenings beginning at 8/7c and are immediately available to stream on-demand. Beginning Thursday, replays of WWE NXT are also available to stream on-demand with a Hulu Plus subscription.
[Image via WWE]