One week after the surprise return of Shane McMahon and the announcement that he would face The Undertaker at WrestleMania 32 in a Hell in a Cell Match, WWE headlined Raw with Dean Ambrose earning the right to be the latest recipient of a Triple H beat-down. While such big names as Shane, Roman Reigns and Brock Lesnar were absent from Nashville on Monday, the WWE brought in heavy-hitter The Undertaker for a brief-yet-poignant encounter with Vince McMahon.
— WWE (@WWE) March 1, 2016
In other news, Stephanie McMahon cut a promo to further the family drama, a No. 1 contender for the WWE Divas Championship has yet to be determined, and The New Day find out that they have to defend the WWE Tag Team Championship against AJ Styles and Chris Jericho (Y2AJ) next week. While rumors continue to surface about an early John Cena return or the possible inclusion of someone like Bill Goldberg, there were no surprise appearances or major WrestleMania announcements on this week’s episode of WWE Raw.
Below is a recap of the episode of WWE Monday Night Raw that aired on February 29, 2016.
WWE Monday Night Raw Results
- This week’s WWE Raw opened with Triple H cutting another promo on the severe beating he delivered to Roman Reigns at the end of last week’s Raw. Dean Ambrose interrupted the WWE World Heavyweight Champion to let him know that The Big Dog is still very anxious to face Triple H at WrestleMania. Hunter booked a match between The Lunatic Fringe and Alberto Del Rio for later in the show. If Ambrose defeats Del Rio, Triple H will consider giving him a WWE World Heavyweight Championship Match.
- Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch ended in a draw resulting from a double-pin. The impact this will have on the WWE Divas Championship Match at Mania was left unclear at the conclusion of the match (more on that later).
- Bray Wyatt cut a promo with the Wyatt Family in the background. What he essentially said is that he’s either insane, or his mind holds the key to saving the entire world.
- The Miz pinned Dolph Ziggler in a very short match that was apparently in response to an altercation between the two on the Raw Pre-Show last week.
- Stephanie McMahon came out to finish the acceptance speech that Shane interrupted last week. By the end of the promo, she was simply ripping into her brother and his return to WWE.
- Representing the League of Nations, the team of Rusev & Sheamus defeated the Lucha Dragons. Alberto Del Rio and Wade Barrett were at ringside to provide a distraction. Post-match, ADR hit WWE United States Champion with a top-rope double foot-stomp.
- In a pre-recorded interview, Renee Young interviewed Natalya, which was essentially an excuse for a product placement advertisement for Subway.
- Ryback defeated Adam Rose of the Social Outcasts in very short fashion.
- With “Y2AJ” now their official name, AJ Styles & Chris Jericho defeated The New Day and immediately challenged them to a WWE Tag Team Championship Match next week.
- Vince McMahon cut a promo about Shane McMahon failing at WrestleMania but was interrupted by The Undertaker who simply came to the ring to remind Vince that the blood Shane sheds at Mania will be on Mr. McMahon’s hands.
- Bubba Ray Dudley defeated Jey Uso after D-Von attacked Jimmy Uso outside the ring.
- Once again, Goldust approached R-Truth, but before he could even say anything, Truth sent Goldust away.
- The Big Show defeated Kevin Owens by count out in a non-title match.
- Lana interrupted a backstage Brie Bella interview, talking trash about Brie’s marriage and career.
- Naomi defeated Brie Bella, and Tamina barely got involved. After the match, Lana came to the top of the ramp to gloat over Brie’s loss.
- The Fabulous Freebirds were announced as inductees into the 2016 WWE Hall of Fame class, along with Sting and The Godfather.
- Backstage, Charlotte and Ric Flair advised Sasha and Becky that they will have a match on SmackDown to see who goes on to fight for the Divas title in Dallas.
- Dean Ambrose defeated Alberto Del Rio by disqualification when Triple H signaled for the entire League of Nations to jump in the ring and attack Ambrose. Triple H went on to deliver several more beatings to the Lunatic Fringe, who refused to stay down until Hunter put him through the announcer’s table.
Where To Watch
WWE WrestleMania 32 airs live on the WWE Network on Sunday, April 3 at 7 p.m. Eastern / 6p.m. Central.
WWE Monday Night Raw airs weekly on the USA Network at 8/7c. The WWE Raw Pre-Show can be streamed on the WWE Network at 7:30 p.m Eastern / 6:30 p.m. Central. While full replays of WWE Raw aren’t added to the WWE Network immediately, a 90-minute condensed version of WWE Raw can be streamed on Hulu Plus beginning the next day.
[Image via WWE]