ISIS claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing in Syria that killed at least 140 people, including children. According to the Jerusalem Post, the extremist group ISIS claimed responsibility for a triple suicide bombing in Syria on Sunday, February 21. JPost reported the Islamic State had claimed responsibility for the suicide attacks that were near schools, homes, and a Shi’ite shrine. The website also posted a video that shows the aftermath of the bombings, including seeing bleeding children being carried to safety.
An article posted by the Christian Post said that the cities of Homs and Damascus were hit on Sunday with reports from the government stating that at least 140 people were killed in the mass bombings. According to the Christian Post, different death tolls were reported by different sources, the state news agency SANA said 83 people were killed and 178 injured in a suburb of Damascus by four explosions and 57 people were killed in Homs by a double car bombing. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights put the death toll at 46 in Homs.
SANA reported that the deadliest bombs went off in the southern outskirts of Damascus, where three bombers targeted the “Lady Zeynab” Shi’ite Muslim shrine. CNN and local television stations have showed footage of the aftermath of the bombings, and charred corpses have been shown buried in the rubble.
The United Nations Special Envoy for Syria condemned the bombings in the two cities, and said that children were among the people killed in the horrific attack. This attack was the second attack in the last month in the same area and district of Syria. Last month, suicide attacks left 71 people dead, ISIS claimed responsibility for those attacks as well. In this video, ISIS had not yet claimed responsibility for the Sunday attack in Damascus.
According to BBC, both of the attacks on Sunday targeted areas that were dominated by minorities within Islam that IS reviles. At least four explosions were reported in Sayyida Zeinab in Damascus, which is the location of Syria’s holiest Shia Muslim shrine, which is said to hold the grave of the granddaughter of the Prophet Muhammad.
Syria has been in the middle of a civil war that began in 2011, and more than 250,000 people have been killed, according to the UN. Peace talks have taken place over the last couple of years, with a ceasefire treaty currently in the works, which made the bombings even more devastating, as the ceasefire talks may not happen now. ISIS has been trying to overtake Syria, taking advantage of the civil war that was already in place. Kurdish forces have been battling with ISIS in the past few years to gain control of the country. During the melee, hundreds of thousands of refugees have escaped Syria.
The ceasefire truce was going to be brokered by Russia and the U.S., but apparently not all groups are willing, mainly ISIS. ISIS clearly has no desire to cease the hostility, the extremist group has no desire to give up their stronghold in Syria. The bombing of the Shi’ite shrine drives home the fact that ISIS believes Shi’ites are deviants and must be persecuted and killed. They also believe that Christians are infidels as well, and should be killed, which is evident in the horrific persecution and murders of thousands of Christians since ISIS has been terrorizing the Middle East.
This newest attack claimed by ISIS is not the first time they have been responsible for the deaths of children. Videos have circulated that allegedly show ISIS terrorists executing at least 200 children. It is quite clear that the militant group has no remorse for killing innocents, and the sociopaths who follow the extreme terrorist group have no qualms about killing themselves in order to kill innocent men, women, and children.
[Photo by AP Photo/Natalia Sancha]