Quantcast

Warner Bros. Pulls ‘Gangster Squad’ Trailer, Won’t Pull ‘TDKR’ After Shooting

TheWrap confirms that Warner Bros. has pulled its “Gangster Squad” trailer in the wake of the shooting at “The Dark Knight Rises” premiere in Aurora, Colorado. “Gangster Squad” depicts mobsters in trenchcoats going backstage at Grauman’s Chinese Theater in Hollywood and begin shooting through the movie screen at the audience.

The noir film, which stars Sean Penn, Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and Josh Brolin, focuses on the LAPD’s anti-mob gangster squad that was formed in secret in the 1940s. It is set to be released September 7.

The trailer did not play at the Aurora premiere of “The Dark Knight Rises,” but had been playing at other theaters prior to the shooting. A source close to Warner Bros. said that the company has now pulled the trailer from all theaters, but it is still widely available online.

While the Wrap had reported that Warner Bros. was also considering pulling “The Dark Knight Rises” from theaters, E! News says the studio told the site they had no plans to remove it.

The studio did, however, releases a statement about the shooting:

“Warner Bros. is deeply saddened to learn about this shocking incident. We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time.”

Head of film distribution Dan Fellman, who said he had been making phone calls since 4 a.m., also said about the shooting,

“Everybody is very saddened by the event. We were obviously looking for a very happy occasion for us. It’s a difficult way to begin. We’re just more concerned now with the well-being of those that were injured, of course.”

Warner Bros. has released no further comment on whether any extra precautions would be taken or if “The Dark Knight Rises” screenings might be canceled.