Kesha vs. Dr. Luke Lawsuit: Singer Loses Court Case, Must Honor Contract And Work With Producer

Kesha broke down during her court hearing when a judge denied her request to be released from her contract with Sony Records on Friday, Feb. 19.

The singer has to continue to work with music producer Dr. Luke, who she alleges emotionally, mentally, and sexually abused her. The judge stated, “There has been no showing of irreparable harm” in Kesha’s music career. Kesha said in court that she’s too scared to continue working with the producer whose real name is Luke Gottwald. But Sony won’t promote the singer if she chooses to work with a different producer.

As promised, dozens of fans lined up outside the courthouse today in support of the singer-songwriter. In addition, thousands of her fans have taken to social media to get the hashtag #FreeKesha trending worldwide in support of the pop star.

Kesha, whose real name is Kesha Rose Sebert, claims that Dr. Luke drugged and raped her in a hotel after her 18th birthday in California. She also claims that he has emotionally and mentally abused over the years they worked together, and she also sued Sony for their alleged negligence in the matter. Dr. Luke has never been criminally charged with the alleged sexual assault.

Kesha’s attorneys told TMZ that they were afraid that Sony Music will blacklist the singer if she refuses to work with Dr. Luke. Sony argued in court that they have interests in the success of both Kesha and Dr. Luke, but those particular interests “are not in the least bit mutually exclusive.” The music producer was not in the courtroom for the judge’s ruling, although previous reports have claimed he attended the trial. In addition, no decisions on the abuse claims in Kesha’s lawsuit were included in the current ruling.

“You’re asking the court to decimate a contract that was heavily negotiated and typical for the industry,” the judge said as Kesha sobbed heavily in the back of the courtroom.

Meanwhile, Dr. Luke claims that Kesha, her mother Patricia “Pebe” Sebert, and her reps are trying to extort him in order to terminate her contract with Luke’s Kemosabe Records label, housed under Sony. He also denies the sexual abuse and claims that her recent actions were spawned out of frustration over her stalled music career. Dr. Luke’s attorney, Christine Lepera, argued that Kesha’s claims were far too late and too vague.

Prior to her court hearing, the singer revealed to her fans on Instagram that she had “nothing left to hide.”

“I have nothing left to hide. I did this because the truth was eating away my soul and killing me from the inside. this is not just for me. this is for every woman, every human who has ever been abused. sexually. emotionally. mentally. I had to tell the truth. so the outcome will be what it will be. there’s nothing left I can do. it’s just so scary to have zero control in your fate. but this is my path this life for whatever reason….#Friday”

Last week, a New York judge dismissed the defamation countersuit filed by Dr. Luke against Kesha and her mother. What can a young woman like Kesha do when a major record label insists that she honor her legal contract and continue to work with her alleged abuser? Kesha’s lawyer, Mark Geragos, revealed that answer in 2014.

“Geragos says that duress can void an agreement,” wrote The Hollywood Reporter‘s Eriq Gardner in a 2014 post on his THR, Esq. blog, “though he can’t cite another case where physical abuse rescinded a recording deal… and admits this might be a ‘first-of-its-kind’ case.”

It’s often difficult for a pop star to fight against her label. What Kesha is doing right now has never been done in the history of pop culture, according to FlavorWire. While Kesha’s allegations of sexual and mental abuse have yet to be resolved in court, both her fans and her record label are wondering if she will continue to record her music for commercial release or will she just fade away.

[Photo by Robin Marchant/Getty Images for Delete Blood Cancer DKMS]