On last week’s WWE NXT, Champion Finn Balor defeated Apollo Crews in a non-title match, and it was announced that Sami Zayn will face Samoa Joe one-on-one to determine the No. 1 contender for the NXT Championship (which will air on the February 17 edition of WWE NXT). Baron Corbin, who was recently squeezed out of the NXT Championship race when Joe and Zayn made him tap, will have an opportunity to regain momentum on tonight’s NXT.
The Hype Bros also lost their match to the Vaudevillains last week. They will get a chance to make up for that loss this week.
Also on last week’s NXT, Carmella defeated Emma in singles competition. Recently, new BFFs Bayley and Carmella celebrated a tag team victory over Emma and Alexa Bliss. This week, however, the NXT Women’s Champion will have to defend her title against her No. 1 Contender on the episode that airs tonight.
All of that and at least two more matches will be jam-packed into the February 10 episode of WWE NXT on the WWE Network. These matches were taped at the University of Central Florida on January 29 as part of the WWE Royal Rumble 2016 weekend. While WWE.com’s official WWE NXT preview only mentions the Women’s title match, the full match list was confirmed through Wrestling Inc.
What follows is a spoiler-free preview of WWE NXT airing on the WWE Network on February 10, 2016.
- Baron Corbin vs. Johnny Gargano: While Corbin is trying to reestablish himself as a contender for the NXT Championship, Gargano is still trying to prove himself as a worthy NXT competitor. The last appearance Johnny made on NXT was January 20 when he was forced to tap to Samoa Joe. Tapping out to Joe’s submission holds is something both competitors in this match have done recently as NXT Superstars.
- Hype Bros (Mojo Rawley and Zack Ryder) vs. local enhancement talent: While a match-up against two no-namers is almost a guaranteed win, it doesn’t exactly make up for losing to a middle-ranking tag team like the Vaudevillains. One has to wonder how Zack Ryder feels working against jobbers in NXT when he was once feuding with John Cena over Eve Torres and even held the United States Championship for about a month.
Cody : Underused— Gixx - WWE (@IAmGixx) February 9, 2016
Bryan : Retired
CM Punk : UFC
Zack : Underused
Kofi : New Day
Beth : Retired
Evan : Fired pic.twitter.com/c2o90pIO3J
- Cameron vs. Alexa Bliss: Cameron is no longer a significant part of Total Divas and has been trying to develop as a wrestler down in NXT. She had her moment as a Funkadactyl and wants to prove she’s more than that and that she can do well without Naomi’s help. She’ll have a chance to show the NXT Universe how hard she’s been working when she faces one of NXT’s top female heels, Alexa Bliss.
- Elias Samson vs. Jesse Sorensen: NXT seems to be really big on Elias Samson right now, as he has been a fairly regular participant since his debut. This would be a great match for Jesse Sorensen to start making a name for himself.
- NXT Women’s Championship Match — Bayley (c) vs. Carmellla: Bayley is as over in NXT as any Women’s Champion has ever been. Like Paige, Charlotte, and Sasha Banks before her, it’s simply a matter of “when” and not “if” she’ll be ready to make the transition to the main roster. Carmella has really started turning things up lately as well. While she’s not the in-ring competitor that Bayley is, the pop she gets from the NXT fans in Florida is starting to catch up with the reaction the Hugger gets.
Where To Watch
New episodes of WWE NXT air on the WWE Network on Wednesday evenings beginning at 8/7c, and are immediately available to stream on-demand. Beginning Thursday, replays of WWE NXT are also available to stream on-demand with a Hulu Plus subscription.
[Image via WWE]