Having made his WWE debut during Sunday's Royal Rumble Match and his Monday Night Raw debut 24 hours later, A.J. Styles recorded his WWE Thursday Night SmackDown debut on Tuesday night in Tampa, Florida. In addition to The Phenomenal One, WWE has already advertised Roman Reigns and Dean Ambrose appearing on Chris Jericho's Highlight Reel. WWE also announced that Kalisto will defend the WWE United States Championship against Neville.But before SmackDown airs on the USA Network, WWE NXT airs Wednesday night on the WWE Network. This week's episode is headlined by a Triple Threat Match featuring Samoa Joe vs. Sami Zayn vs. Baron Corbin to determine the No. 1 contender for Finn Balor's NXT Championship that was announced on last week's WWE NXT. While the WWE main roster has Fastlane as a major pit stop on the Road to WrestleMania 32, the NXT roster's next TakeOver event isn't until WrestleMania weekend in Dallas. The full spoilers for both of this week's episodes are detailed below.
Note: The following contains full spoilers for the episode of WWE Thursday Night SmackDown, which will air January 28 on the USA Network at 8/7c.
WWE Thursday Night SmackDown spoilers
- The show begins with The Miz and The New Day complaining about The Rock being on Monday's WWE Raw, as they all had issues with him. As they are talking bad about The Rock, the Usos come to their cousin's defense. This results in the following tag team match.
- Eight-Man Tag Team Match: The Usos, Dolph Ziggler and Titus O'Neil defeated The New Day and The Miz
- WWE United States Championship Match: Kalisto (c) defeated Neville
- The Wyatt Family interrupts Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns as they appear on the Highlight Reel with Chris Jericho. This interaction sets up the main event.
- A.J. Styles defeated Curtis Axel -- After having it blocked during the Rumble Match and by Chris Jericho on Raw, A.J. Styles finally hit the Styles Clash on WWE programming.
- WWE Divas Champion Charlotte defeated Natalya. -- After the match, Becky Lynch chases Charlotte off when she begins to attack a fallen Natalya.
- Backstage, Sasha Banks breaks things off with Naomi and Tamina. It would seem Team B.A.D. is no more.
- A pre-recorded clip shows Goldust trying once again to convince R-Truth to be his tag team partner.
- Roman Reigns, Dean Ambrose, and Chris Jericho defeated The Wyatt Family (Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper, and Erick Rowan) by disqualification. Braun Strowman was at ringside and interfered, causing the DQ. The Wyatts beat all three of the men down and do the same to The Big Show when he tries to make the save/get retribution from the Royal Rumble Match. For the second week in a row, SmackDown ended with the Wyatt Family surrounded by their fallen victims as the show comes to an end.
Note: The following contains full spoilers for the episode of WWE NXT, which will air January 27 on the WWE Network at 8/7c.
WWE NXT spoilers
- American Alpha defeated Blake & Murphy -- American Alpha is the tag team name for Jason Jordan and Chad Gable.
- Nia Jax (w/ Eva Marie) defeated Liv Morgan -- essentially a squash match.
Check it out, The Rock gives his thoughts on @NiaJaxWWE on his night back in the WWE! pic.twitter.com/1p7xqmSaQJ
— NiaJaxCOM (@NiaJaxCom) January 26, 2016
- Alex Riley defeated Bull Dempsey -- this was something of a return match for Riley.
- Elias Samson defeated John Skyler -- essentially a squash match.
- Triple Threat Match: Sami Zayn vs. Samoa Joe vs. Baron Corbin -- the match to determine the no. 1 contender for the NXT Championship ended when Baron Corbin tapped out while in both the Sharpshooter (Zayn) and a Crossface (Joe). No official decision was given.
Replays of both WWE Thursday Night SmackDown and WWE NXT can also be streamed on-demand via Hulu Plus the day after they originally air.
[Image via WWE]