California Man Sentenced To 65 Years For Raping 7 Year Old With Developmental Disabilities

A California man was sentenced to 65 years in prison this Friday after he kidnapped and sexually assaulted a developmentally disabled 7-year-old girl in his apartment complex nearly three years ago.

30 year-old Daniel Vlas Flores was convicted on April 27 of one felony count each of sexual intercourse with a child 10 years old or younger, sodomy of a child 10 years old or younger, kidnapping to commit a sexual offense, and sexual penetration of a child 10 years old or younger according to official reports.

Huffington Post reports on Aug. 19, 2009, Flores approached the 7 year-old severely developmentally disabled girl, Jane Doe ( her ID is protected due to her age), while she was outside their apartment complex playing with her 8 year-old friend and told them he needed help moving some furniture in his apartment. Flores then grabbed Jane Doe by the arm and ran with her to his apartment where he sexually assaulted her by raping, sodomizing, and used his fingers to sexually assault her.

According to KFI, when Jane Doe’s friend saw she had not yet returned, the 8 year-old went to look for her and saw the victim through a sliding glass door. She was able to pry the door open with some help from her brother and cousin in order to provide enough of a distraction for Jane Doe to escape and run home.

Authorities arrested Flores that day after the victim told her mother about the assault and they were able to link him to the crime through DNA evidence.

Judge Lance Jensen, who presided over the sentencing Friday, stated to Flores:

“I can’t think of anything worse you can do to a child than what you did.”

Jane Doe’s father told the judge the attack made his family feel less secure:

“It has affected us physically, emotionally and in terms of trust. My daughter has gone through drastic changes since this. My other children have been impacted physically and they feel bad because of what happened. They are also walking around as if they are afraid.”

The family has moved out-of-state since then in order to get away from the place where the attack took place.

Flores will most likely spend the remainder of his life in prison.