A shark found in a condo pool is making news as the week begins. A woman found a live shark swimming in the swimming pool of a South Florida condo development recently. According to the San Francisco Gate, Nicole Bonk found the shark in the pool and also saw two teen boys running from the scene.
The boys caught the shark, which was approximately five feet long, and carried it to the swimming pool of the Mariner’s Cay condominium in Hypoluxo, according to the Gainesville Sun. The shark was a blacktip shark, which is common to the waters in the area.
National Geographic shared that “blacktip sharks are so common in Florida that scientists suspect most bites in the state can be pinned on the shark, but there has never been a single fatality in the region due to blacktip shark attack.”
— Sun Sentinel (@SunSentinel) January 15, 2016
As for the shark found in the condo swimming pool, Bonk was outraged by the prank when she spoke to the media. She shared what she knew in an interview.
“These two kids, they came back from fishing and threw this half-dead creature into the pool as a prank. They left the shark in the pool to die. I think they’re terrible children because it’s animal cruelty.”
Bonk also revealed to the media that both she and her husband rescued the shark from the pool and took it immediately to the Intracoastal Waterway to free it. However, she was not sure if the shark survived the ordeal. It was half dead when she found it.
Police in the area are now investigating the prank. The condominium complex does have surveillance cameras on site, so the police can see the footage of the prank. That could possibly lead to the arrest of the two teens.
Photographer Lauric Thiault – photo of a pregnant blacktip shark (“ma’ o mauri” in Tahitian) pic.twitter.com/ZzcD8VvJd9
— CK (@carolkm29) January 11, 2016
Pranks involving teens and animals are not new. In fact, tossing a shark into a condo swimming pool might be considered mild in comparison to some other pranks pulled off by teens.
Back in May 2015, AJC.com reported that some senior pranks at high schools in the United States were so bad that schools had to be shut down early to clean up the mess the outgoing seniors left behind. At a high school in “Dekalb County, Alabama, a group of students spread so much chicken feces and trash across campus the school had to close early for the year in order to clean up. A band director was suspended for her rant over the mess.”
In another prank gone wrong at a high school in Tennessee, 100 students were barred from graduation after they pulled a prank involving urine, baby oil, and chickens. The students were allowed into the school by a resource officer, and that school official was fired for their role in the prank.
Not all pranks involving sharks are bad, though. People have pulled off some funny pranks that scared people with no harm done to any animals or property. In June 2015, one grandma visiting the International Spy Museum in Washington, D.C. was scared when she thought a shark was trying to attack her through an aquarium. She was so shocked that she fell backwards. However, she was standing in front of a computer screen featuring the simulation of a shark attack. The Daily Mail shared a video of the moment, and she is seen laughing about the prank afterward.
The Daily Mail also reported on another shark prank in August 2014. Boaters on Finsbury Park were frightened when they saw the fin of a Great White shark in the water nearby. There was not a shark in the water, though. The fin was placed in the water to celebrate the start of Shark Week on the Discovery Channel.
Sharks of all kinds do fascinate people, but they can also be frightening up close. In the case of the shark tossed into the swimming pool of the South Florida condominium complex, the teens involved should not have caught the shark and taken it to the pool. There is no way to know if the five-foot-long shark managed to survive the ordeal.
[Photo via Shutterstock]