EOS is now in the center of a class action lawsuit. The popular lip balm that’s been used by Britney Spears, Kim Kardashian, and Miley Cyrus is being sued by customers who claim that the product severely damaged their skin.
Rachel Cronin was one of the customers to file a class action lawsuit against the beauty brand, which is known for selling its flavored lip balm in its colorful egg-shaped cases, according a report via TMZ. Many celebrities have been the face of the product, and the lip balm has been featured in several music videos such as Miley Cyrus’ infamous music video for “We Can’t Stop.”
According to Jezebel, this isn’t the first time that EOS has received complaints about their popular lip balms. Customers have previously complained about experiencing rashes and finding mold on the product. One girl addressed the brand’s mold issue on the company’s Facebook page.
“I like EOS as much as the next girl, but I find that they get moldy so I don’t buy them anymore. I get lip balm just as good for half of the price.”
In addition, an Amazon reviewer made a similar remark, “MOLD — My EOS lip balm grew mold over the weekend when I was away from my office where I store it…”
EOS also has its share of mixed reviews online, with most of the reviews being negative. The lawsuit has been filed by attorney Mark Geragos, in which the customers have asked compensation for damages. They also demand that the company corrects its false advertising, which proudly boasts the slogan, “The lip balm that makes you smile.”
The company has not responded to the allegations that their lip balms cause severe skin damage. Instead, they have been actively promoting their EOS lip balms on their social media accounts.
“I fell in love with the scent of rose during my last pregnancy when every other scent was making me nauseous. I still haven’t gotten over it. I just love it!”
If you used EOS, then you may want to consider some of the following alternatives. StyleCaster just asked top six makeup artists to share their favorite lip balms with their readers. These makeup artists work with the likes of Beyonce, Katy Perry, and Gwyneth Paltrow, so they know what balms keep their clients’ lip soft and hydrated without causing any irritation. This list of lip balms range from $9 to $75, which will fit anyone’s budget.
- Quinn Murphy uses Dr. Hauschka Lip Care Stick ($15), which is derived from plant oils.
- L’Oreal Paris Celebrity makeup artist Sir John of course uses L’Oreal Paris Glossy Balm ($8) because “the formula is really moisturizing and gives a sheer pop of color.”
- Matin uses Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Intensive Lip Repair Balm ($23) on his clients when it’s cold outside.
- Giorgio Armani celebrity makeup artist Tim Quinn uses Clark’s Botanicals Ultra Rich Lip Balm ($19), which doubles as a brow fix and highlighter.
- This one is a two-for: Amber Dreadon loves using Maybelline Baby Lips Moisturizing Lip Gloss in Taupe With Me ($4.50) with Sisley Nutrive Lip Balm ($74).
- Lori Taylor-Davis, Smashbox Pro lead makeup artist, uses her own Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Oil along with Smashbox Lipstick.
Fresh sugar tinted lip balms have also been a hit with women, especially beauty bloggers. According to Fashionista, the Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment SPF 15 in Tulip will give you that perfect rosy color while it hydrates and protects your lips. It also smells delicious, too!
Of course, you can always make your own homemade lip balm as seen in the videos below.
[Photo by Michael Loccisano/Getty Images for Ok! Magazine]