By the end of WWE Monday Night Raw, Brock Lesnar stood alone as many of the 2016 Royal Rumble Match competitors looked on. Having disrupted the chaotic Raw main event — “Mr. McMahon’s Version of One Versus All” — which saw WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns face fourteen other men, Lesnar cleared the ring of Reigns’ opponents before picking the champ up to deliver a punishing F5. In doing so, The Beast Incarnate let The Big Dog and the entire WWE Universe know that he would be at the WWE Royal Rumble to take back the championship belt.
— WWE (@WWE) January 12, 2016
Before Raw reached that conclusion last night in New Orleans, we received an update on the condition of John Cena after his recent injury and subsequent surgery. The man that Cena introduced to face United States Champion Albert Del Rio on WWE Thursday Night SmackDown, Kalisto, received a shot at the U.S. title after his upset victory over ADR on Thursday. Kalisto managed another victory over Del Rio, making him the new WWE United States Champion.
— WWE (@WWE) January 12, 2016
The full results of last night’s WWE Monday Night Raw are detailed below, as confirmed by WWE.com’s official Raw results page.
- WWE Raw began with Vince and Stephanie McMahon addressing the WWE roster, who were assembled at the top of the ramp. McMahon suggested that each of them have the opportunity to eliminate Roman Reigns as participants in the Royal Rumble Match in two weeks and proposed the idea that Brock Lesnar was in town to announce his own interest in joining the foray. He went on to announce that Reigns would have to face an undisclosed number of the men on the stage in a giant handicap match — “One Vs. All.” The first match of the night, Ambrose vs. Sheamus, was also announced.
- Dean Ambrose vs. Sheamus ended in a double count-out. After the match, Kevin Owens attacked Dean Ambrose.
- Titus O’Neil pinned Stardust. Stardust attacked O’Neil after the match.
- The New Day were guests on Chris Jericho’s Highlight Reel before The Usos came out and the next match was set up.
- The Usos (w/ Chris Jericho) pinned The New Day (w/ Xavier Woods) in a non-title match.
- A brief update was given on John Cena’s condition. Pictures and social media content were shown of Cena before, during, and after surgery. It was noted that Cena has recovered faster than doctors predicted in the past and that he’s already started rehabbing his shoulder.
Cesaro apparently waited with John Cena before, during and after his surgery! Great guy pic.twitter.com/4xUy9SouGb— Inner Wrestling Nerd (@InnerN3rd) January 10, 2016
- JBL announced that Sting was the first WWE Legend to be named to the WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2016.
- The Wyatt Family came to the ring and were interrupted by the Social Outcasts before their promo even started. The following match was set up.
- The Wyatt Family defeated The Social Outcasts by disqualification when Ryback interfered. After the post-match shenanigans, Ryback and the Outcasts were left standing in the ring.
- Kalisto pinned WWE United States Champion Alberto Del Rio to become the new US Champion.
- Becky Lynch attacked Charlotte before her match, resulting in the scheduled match-up of Brie Bella (w/ Alicia Fox) vs. Charlotte (w/ Ric Flair) never happening.
- Roman Reigns vs. Kevin Owens, The Wyatt Family, The New Day, The Cosmic Wasteland, Sheamus, Alberto Del Rio and Tyler Breeze in a “One Versus All” Match ended without a decision when Brock Lesnar laid out everyone competing in the match.
Brock Lesnar’s return
Lesnar didn’t appear until almost the end of the show. Throughout Raw, Paul Heyman negotiated with Vince and Stephanie about Lesnar’s next WWE match. Lesnar wanted to face the winner of the Royal Rumble Match at WrestleMania 32. Stephanie and Vince wanted Lesnar to join the Royal Rumble Match. After several segments of these three arguing, Heyman accepted the McMahons’ plan, and the first time we see Brock Lesnar is when Heyman delivers to him The Authority’s response.
As McMahon’s team of 14 men began to dog-pile Reigns in the ring, Lesnar made his way to the ring. After clearing the ring of Vince’s henchmen, he picked up the beaten and battered Roman Reigns and planted him with a signature F5. As confirmed on WWE.com’s official Royal Rumble preview page, Lesnar will be competing in the 30-man battle royal on January 24.
John Cena injury and surgery update
Having only been back for one week of WWE programming, John Cena was forced once again to go under the knife, this time for a shoulder injury. Dr. Jeffrey Dugas, who performed the surgery, explained Cena’s situation.
“He had a complete tear of a small portion of the rear rotator cuff tendon, the infraspinatus — toward the top-back of his shoulder — which I repaired. Also, there was a large piece of loose tissue in his shoulder that needed to be removed.”
As Cena recovers from the surgery, he will focus on range-of-motion exercises before bearing any weight on the surgically-repaired shoulder.
Kalisto wins WWE United States Championship
Just a few weeks ago, Kalisto and Sin Cara were competing for the WWE Tag Team Championship. After both Sin Cara and John Cena were sidelined with injuries, WWE decided to expedite the singles push that they undoubtedly had planned for Kalisto after the Lucha Dragons had run their course as a tag team. While WWE hopes that Roman Reigns will be their next John Cena, it would appear that they also hope Kalisto can be the next Rey Mysterio.
Billed as an underdog by the commentary team and endorsed by the top dog in the WWE Universe, Kalisto may be the undersized hero WWE has been looking for to fill the void left by Mysterio and Daniel Bryan. Alberto Del Rio vs. Kalisto was a great match in the middle of a highly-anticipated Monday Night Raw, and the New Orleans crowd popped huge when Del Rio was pinned. The new champion has his first defense on WWE Thursday Night SmackDown as ADR invokes the rematch clause.
[Image via Twitter]