For 20 years, Dimension Films has brought forth the quick-paced walk and knife-wielding ways of Michael Myers in the Halloween franchise and made them come to life. Well, that is no more as Dimension reportedly no longer has the rights to the iconic movie franchise and that means it is somewhat up for grabs.
Bloody-Disgusting reports that Michael Myers and the Halloween franchise will no longer be controlled by The Weinstein Company. Miramax is said to be shopping around the franchise and looking for a new distributor to continue the horror.
The Weinstein Company first produced Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers back in 1995, and that was technically the sixth movie in the franchise.
— Comic Book Resources (@CBR) December 29, 2015
Since then, the company brought four other films that delivered more Michael Myers. First, there was Halloween H20: 20 Years Later which was followed up by Halloween Resurrection, which is forgetful enough for numerous reasons.
After that, Dimension Films brought forth Rob Zombie’s “re-imagining” of Halloween in 2007 and then Halloween II in 2009. Neither of those films did very well at the box office, but there were still plans for more movies to come.
Any hopes of a new Halloween movie coming in 2016, as has been previously rumored, are now being washed away. It’s been a long time since any news has come out about Halloween Returns from Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan.
Now, it appears as if the reasoning behind the silence is Dimension Films giving up.
There is another reason though and The Wrap is reporting that both Dunstan and Melton are no longer involved in the next Halloween film. Production was due to begin in July, but when that didn’t happen, people began to wonder what was up.
It has been confirmed, though, that Malek Akkad, a big-time name in the Halloween franchise for years, will still produce the next film.
While it was never quite revealed what the plot for Halloween Returns would be, some details were leaked. Rumor has it that a group of young Haddonfield teens would face off with Michael Myers, who is reportedly on death row.
The plot seems simple, but one interesting twist is the identity of one of the teens. One of the young kids is the 18-year-old child of one of Michael Myers’ victims. That sounds like it could be good; hopefully, it will be a notion expanded upon by whomever takes over.
Now, here is something interesting about Dimension Films giving up the Halloween franchise and looking for a new distributor. This opens the door for a whole new host of crossover films if the right studio picks it up.
A few months ago, Robert Englund said that he wanted to take back the role of Freddy Krueger since New Line was planning on doing a reboot of A Nightmare On Elm Street. He also said that he wanted a battle that many people have wanted for a long time: Freddy Krueger vs. Michael Myers.
“You don’t do remakes! I would do ‘Freddy 9’, you know? Or I would do ‘Freddy vs Michael Myers’. Or I would do a prequel.”
Back in 2003, the world was treated to Freddy Vs. Jason, and the movie ended in a way that left it open for another film. If New Line picked up Halloween, then it could be an insane crossover and one that Englund would reportedly love to be a part of.
Might be a while before we see another Halloween movie, as series rights go up for sale: https://t.co/lvGMuU3tuT pic.twitter.com/bCHrZC86Rl
— Yahoo Movies UK (@YahooMoviesUK) December 31, 2015
The horror franchise is getting a big kick in the pants with the reboot of A Nightmare On Elm Street, a prequel for Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and another Friday the 13th. A new studio taking control of Halloween now that Dimension Films has let it go means a new level of Michael Myers terror could be on the way.
[Image via Dimension Films]