Authorities have advised that all schools in Nashua, New Hampshire will be closed on Monday as they have received a very “specific threat of violence” that is directed toward the two Public High Schools in the district.
Nashua Police Lt. Kerry Baxter’s released a statement that revealed that the threat was received on Sunday. The School district Superintendent Mark Conrad said that the threat of violence is towards both students and staff at Nashua High School North and Nashua High School South.
The Washington Times reported that Conrad has stated that the closing of the schools is to ensure the safety of anyone who would be at the school and also simply the district’s way of being cautious.
According to Baxter’s statement, the school administration will be working alongside the police department as well as state and federal agencies in order to determine the credibility of the threat.
“We have received a detailed threat of violence to harm students and staff at both high schools. The threat is specific to tomorrow (Monday). We have been working closely with the Nashua Police Department, which is still working at this time (Sunday) to determine the credibility of the threat.”
New Hampshire Gov. Maggie Hassan announced that the State Police and state emergency management officials will also be working on the investigation. The town of Nashua, New Hampshire is the third district to have received threats to their schools in the past week alone; nor is it the first to close the school as a precaution. Last week Tuesday Los Angeles following the receipt of an email threat mentioning violence against students and staff.
The school’s website confirms that the schools will be closed on Monday and thus far are scheduled to reopen on Tuesday morning. A statement from Conrad was posted on the district’s website and outlines that the school will only be closed for Monday, December 26.
“The threat is specific to tomorrow (Monday). Because the threat is specific and extends to several schools, we will be cautious and close all of our public schools in Nashua tomorrow, Monday, December 21st. I do expect our schools to reopen on Tuesday. I regret any difficulties this creates for working parents but safety must remain our first priority. Thank you.”
After parents received the news regarding the fact that the schools will be closed on Monday they were understandably concerned and even Baxter admitted that he is afraid to send his children to school. Many of the parents actually made their way to their local police station seeking more answers.
The Nashua School District in New Hampshire is comprised of 12 elementary schools, three middle schools and two high schools. Note than 11,000 children will be affected by the closing as not only the schools that were specifically targeted will be closed, but all 17 schools will be – as a precaution. The threat is said to have been specific to both Nashua high schools and Sunday evening saw officials and canines sweeping the schools.
The investigation is still ongoing and the credibility of the threat has still not been established up to early Monday morning.
The authorities are also continuing to work to identify exactly who sent the email threats.
[Photo Courtesy of Nassau School District website]