While the WWE Superstars on the main roster are all focused on next month’s Royal Rumble, the up-and-coming stars in WWE’s developmental league are set for their next live special — WWE NXT TakeOver: London — which airs live on the WWE Network later today. All of the NXT titles will be on the line at today’s event, which is headlined by Finn Balor defending the NXT Championship against Samoa Joe.
While some may try to make predictions for NXT TakeOver, it can be a lot harder to figure out what WWE creative (or in this case, NXT creative) has in store for the fans of the developmental division of WWE. Following, you will find the preview and updated card scheduled for tonight’s event.
- Finn Balor (c) vs. Samoa Joe — NXT Championship: As noted on WWE’s official NXT TakeOver: London preview page, these two bitter rivals previously had a harmonious relationship, working together well enough to win NXT’s Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic tournament. Soon after, however, Samoa Joe would turn on NXT’s first Irish champion. While it’s very possible that either (or both) of these men end up participating in the Royal Rumble Match at January’s PPV, there’s no doubt they’ll try to prove they deserve such a spot by blowing the roof off of the SSE Arena in London.
- Bayley (c) vs. Nia Jax — NXT Women’s Championship: As reported by ProWrestling.net, Nia Jax continues to intimidate Bayley at live events in England, even when they aren’t on camera. Bayley is arguably more over than any NXT Women’s Champion before her, but Nia Jax is arguably the toughest female to ever grace Full Sail University. The real wild card here is the apparent inclusion of Eva Marie. She has made it clear that she, too, has her sites set on the NXT Women’s Championship. How will Miss “All Red Everything” affect the outcome of tonight’s title match?
- Dash & Dawson (c) vs. Enzo Amore & Colin Cassady — NXT Tag Team Championship: Dash & Dawson showed little concern for Ezno Amore & Colin Cassady and their chances of taking the NXT tag titles when the match was officially announced on NXT. Enzo and Big Cass have drawn a lot of comparisons to the New Age Outlaws, given their regular pre-match promo and distinct wrestling styles. They are easily more over than the current champs, and it could be argued that they’re the most over tag team in NXT history. More than likely to be the next team called up to the main roster, they look to capture tag team gold along the way.
- Apollo Crews vs. Baron Corbin: While this isn’t officially a No. 1 contender’s match, it seems likely that the winner of this match will face the NXT Champion before too long. Both men have been virtually untouchable in NXT, leaving the outcome of this match as hard to predict as any on today’s card.
- Asuka vs. Emma: Just as there were two Divas matches at WWE TLC (if you count Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch, which aired during the kick-off show), Asuka vs. Emma will be one of two women’s matches at TakeOver: London. Just as Crews vs. Corbin isn’t officially a No. 1 contender’s match, Asuka is getting a huge push. A win here could mean a shot at the NXT Women’s Championship.
Tuesday night, WWE aired the NXT TakeOver: Preview Show, hosted by Corey Graves and currently available on-demand. Today, the kick-off show begins 30 minutes prior to the official event and features Lita, Renee Young, Kyle Edwards and Tom Phillips acting as the expert panel. WWE’s NXT TakeOver: London airs live today, December 16, at 3/2c, from Wembley Arena in London, England. The event can be seen exclusively on the WWE Network.
[Image via WWE]