iPhone 6 Fire: Man Left Pantless After Smartphone Catches Fire

An Atlanta man’s pants recently caught fire. But it was not due to telling a lie. Instead, his iPhone 6 caught the man’s pants on fire, forcing him to strip down to pantless safety in a parking lot.

The man, only identified as “Rocky,” told WSB-TV 2 in Atlanta that he was at Home Depot when he suddenly felt his pants get really warm.

“When I saw the smoke, I undid my belt, I undid my pants…. I pushed it away, turned my head hoping it wouldn’t explode. It burned pretty much my whole front pocket, burned my boxers, started to burn my leg, but I had moved it away in time so it wouldn’t burn me.”

The iPhone 6 fire was, as you can imagine, was humiliating for the man.

“I mean, it was pretty humiliating having to take your pants off in a parking lot.”

While the story of an iPhone 6 fire causing a man to go pantless in a busy parking lot may make some smile, it is not the first time iPhone 6 fires or explosions have been reported. According to Techworm, an iPhone 6 was reported to have exploded overseas during a hands free call. While the phone’s operator was not seriously injured in the June 20 incident, it did result in a police report after the unnamed man said he had not received a resolution to the explosion.

Techworm also reported on another iPhone 6 fire and explosion early this year. In that incident, an iPhone user was reported to have received third degree burns as a result of the incident.

The user, Erik Johnson, was using an iPhone 5c. In an interview, Johnson said there was no warning of the coming explosion.

“All I heard was a pop, and it started fizzling, and it just started to burn my leg,” he said. “It went to a pretty much instant burn, it didn’t even warm up; it just went to burn. And the only way I could get the phone away from me was to rip off my pants to get the phone out.”

Multiple cases of either iPhone 6 overheating or fires have been reported in 2015. (Photo by Ken Ishii/Getty Images)

The various incidents throughout this year apparently didn’t stop users in October from complaining about the new iPhone 6S, with Techworm again reporting users as saying the latest smartphone model from Apple was “too hot” to hold.

“In a thread on Apple’s Support Communities, several users describe a similar problem. According to them, the phone’s TouchID-equipped control regularly becomes ‘burning hot’, making the device not only uncomfortable, but at times impossible to use,” Techworm reported.

Even though the reports of the latest models being too hot to use, Techworm reported a fix for the iPhone 6S heat problem.

“However, the problem would go away after holding the home and lock buttons for 10 seconds, resetting the phone,” it reported.

The reported iPhone troubles are likely the last thing the company wants to hear as the smartphone wars continue to heat up (pun completely intentional). Samsung has continued to roll forward with its Galaxy model, receiving rave reviews and giving Apple a run for its money. The Inquisitr has also previously reported on the strong sales of HTC phones in Taiwan and other markets, again giving the iPhone 6S and other Apple technology a strong challenge in a growing smartphone market.

iPhone 6 Fires Does It Impact Sales?
With reports of an iPhone 6 catching fire in an Atlanta man's pants, will it boost sales of devices like the Samsung Galaxy? (Photo by Sean Gallup/Getty Images)

As for Rocky and his iPhone 6 fire, he told WSB-TV 2 that the phone had originally been sold to another user in 2014. The phone was either returned or proven to be defective – he did not state which – resulting in a return to Apple. The company, Rocky said, refurbished the device before re-selling it. The lucky customer to receive the “refurbished” product may have ended up in a parking lot without his pants, but he is reported to be injury free.

[Feature Image by George Frey/Getty Images]