Hair Tie Medical Scare: Kentucky Woman Gets Bacterial Infection From Glittery Hair Tie

A hair tie medical scare sent a Kentucky woman to the hospital. Audree Kopp was forced to undergo surgery after a glittery hair tie worn on her wrist caused a bacterial infection. Kopp noticed a bump forming on her wrist. The bump continued to grow and become more inflamed, even when treated with antibiotics.

On Monday, the Kentucky woman underwent emergency surgery when antibiotics failed to resolve the bacteria infection caused by the hair tie. Kopp was in the middle of moving to a new home when the bump developed on her wrist, and said that she initially missed the developing infection.

kentucky woman hair tie
“It just kept getting bigger and redder and worse,” Kopp said during an interview about the hair tie medical scare with WLKY-TV. “They said I needed surgery, and thank God I caught it in time, or I could have had sepsis. I didn’t believe it at first, I thought that it was a spider bite, or something else, not from wearing hair-ties.”

Norton Healthcare hand surgeon, Amit Gupta, said bacteria from the hair tie most likely entered Kopps body through a small cut on her skin, USA Today reports.

“She had a large abscess on the back of her wrist, so I basically made an incision and drained the puss all the way down,” Gupta added.

The hand surgeon went on to state that it is extremely rare for women to get bacterial infections from wearing a hair tie on their wrist. Gupta did add that if a bump or other signs of infection do begin to appear, the individual should immediately seek medical attention.

“This is very rare, in my 25 years of experience I’ve never seen this,” Gupta also said. “Be careful, you can’t put all these hair-ties around the wrist particularly because it can cause problems with the skin, it can cause infection.”

Dr. Gupta said that the amount of bacteria present in Kopp’s body can spread rapidly and feels that if she had waited only a day or two longer to come to the hospital that it “could have been bad.”

Audree Kopp said she is very grateful that the hair tie medical scare had a positive outcome.

“It could have been a whole different ballgame, once it gets into your bloodstream, people have been known to go into a coma, your body shuts down it could have been way worse.”

The doctor also said that the Kentucky woman is not likely to experience any lasting effects from the bacterial infection caused by the hair tie — except perhaps a scare from the removal of the bump. Dr. Gupta said that anyone with a cut which appears to be becoming infected should look for infection warning signs such redness or red streaks around the cut or bump, swelling, and fever.

Do you or your daughters wear hair ties around the wrist? Will the hair tie medical scare and bacteria infection Audree Kopp endured change your wrist-wearing habit?

[Image via Shutterstock.com]