Daniel Ellis: Richmond, Kentucky Police Officer Has Died After Being Shot

Daniel Ellis, a Kentucky police officer, died on Friday morning after being shot in the head earlier this week while searching for a robbery suspect.

According to a statement from the Kentucky State Police, 33-year-old Ellis, who served as a police officer in Richmond, Kentucky, died shortly before 2:00 a.m. at the University of Kentucky Medical Center.

“The Richmond Police Department is extremely grateful for the prayers and support that have been extended to Officer Daniel Ellis, his family, friends, and fellow officers,” the KSP statement read. “They ask that you continue to pray for them as they grieve this tremendous loss, and that the privacy of the family is respected during this very difficult and trying time.”

The shooting occurred on Wednesday morning, when Ellis and another officer were searching for a man who had tried to mug a woman at a downtown gas station at around 7 a.m. The officers arrived at an apartment belonging to Gregory Ratliff, located on Ballard Drive in downtown Richmond, at approximately 10:30 a.m. When they entered the home, the suspect allegedly pulled his weapon and shot Ellis in the head. The other officer returned fire, and shot the suspect, identified as Raleigh Sizemore, who survived the incident. Ellis was then taken to the University of Kentucky Medical Center where he remained in critical condition until his death Friday morning. Raleigh Sizemore, 34, of Richmond, was also taken to the University of Kentucky Hospital where he was treated for non-life threatening injuries. He was later released from the hospital.

Sizemore was arrested and charged with Attempted Murder of a Police Officer and Unlawful Imprisonment 1st Degree, according to the Kentucky State Police. Sizemore was being held in the Madison County Detention Center, along with Ratliff, 25, and Rita Creech, 44, who were also arrested and charged with Complicity to Commit Murder of a Police Officer. However, Sizemore has now been transferred to the Kentucky State Reformatory.

Ellis was a seven-year veteran of the Richmond Police Department. He leaves behind a wife, Katie, who is the assistant principal at Madison Central High School in Richmond, and a 3-year-old son, Luke. Funeral arrangements for Ellis will be made in the coming days, and will be released as soon as they become available.

According to the Officer Down Memorial Page, a nonprofit group that tracks line-of-duty fatalities, Ellis was the 32nd officer to be killed in the line of duty this year.

On Friday, Ellis’ body was brought back to Richmond, accompanied by a procession of officers. Hundreds of people gathered together alongside the road to wait for the procession to pass beneath the American flag that was stretched across Barnes Mill Road between the ladders of two fire engines, WKYT reports. The onlookers said they were there to pay their respects to the fallen officer, many of them recalling how much he had helped their community.

Later that day, Madison County Schools Superintendent Elmer Thomas released a statement regarding Ellis’ death.

“We are devastated for Katie, Luke, and their family. We are devastated for the Richmond Police Department. We are devastated for our community,” Thomas said. “Daniel was truly a hero. His sacrifice and the sacrifice of his family will long be remembered. Madison County Schools will continue to love and support Katie and Luke diligently in the days, weeks, and months ahead. We ask for time to process this loss and time to focus on best serving the staff, students, family, and friends in our community who are suffering from this terrible tragedy. Thank you all for you concern and support over the last few days and in the days and weeks ahead.”

[Photo via Kentucky State Police]