Former NBA Player Lamar Odom Opens Eyes, Is ‘Able to Communicate’ [Report]

Former NBA player Lamar Odom may be on the mend. Although the prognosis was bleak just days ago, a new report has shared some amazing news, claiming that the former NBA player not only opened his eyes on Friday but was also able to communicate with others.

On October 16, Entertainment Tonight revealed they had learned that “Lamar Odom has opened his eyes and been able to communicate.” Then, when Odom was asked if he wanted to see his two children, 17-year-old Destiny and 13-year-old Lamar Jr., the 35-year-old former NBA player reportedly communicated that he did. It is, however, unclear whether Odom said, “Yes,” or whether he used a hand or head signal.

The former NBA player was hospitalized on Tuesday after being found unconscious at Dennis Hof’s Love Ranch South in Nevada. According to a TMZ report that day, Odom had been partying at the venue since Saturday with a group of women before he was found in his VIP suite, where he was believed to have overdosed on cocaine and an herbal supplement for Viagra. Once paramedics arrived at the Love Ranch, the former NBA player was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was put on a ventilator before being transferred to a second facility, the Sunrise Hospital in Las Vegas.

For the last three days, there haven’t been many positive health updates, so Entertainment Tonight’s latest report is a major step in the right direction. Since Odom was admitted to the hospital on Tuesday, the former NBA star’s prognosis was getting worse and worse, with doctors telling family members that the longer he continues to show no improvement and the longer his organs continue to fail, the less his chance will be for a full recovery.

Just hours ago, E! News shared a report, claiming Odom was still in a coma and noting that brain damage was possible.

“He hasn’t suffered any more strokes,” a source told E! News of the former NBA player on Friday morning. “But he’s not getting better and that has everyone worried.”

“The family was also told to prepare for ‘everything,’ including a protracted stay in the hospital. The basketball player’s family was told that because he likely suffered multiple strokes, he could have severe physical and mental impairment, including inability or trouble doing things like speak, walk and swallow. If Lamar’s coma persists long-term, he will have to be transferred to another facility that provides special rehabilitative care.”

E! News went on to reveal that despite reports claiming Odom and Khloe Kardashian’s divorce was finalized over the summer, a judge has yet to sign off of the documents, which has left Kardashian in charge of making her husband’s medical decisions. The site also pointed out that the former NBA player does not have a medical plan in place revealing his wishes in regard to being kept alive by machines should he remain in a coma for an extended period of time.

Upon hearing news of Odom’s hospitalization on Tuesday, Kardashian, her mother Kris Jenner, and her sister Kim Kardashian boarded a private jet and headed to Las Vegas so that Kardashian could be at his side. Since then, Kardashian has remained at the former NBA player’s bedside, and at this point, it appears that is where she will remain.

In response to Entertainment Tonight’s report, TMZ has offered an update, claiming that doctors are insistent that any motions made by Odom have been involuntary.

[Photo via Twitter]