A new health update has finally revealed positive information about Lamar Odom’s battle for his life. According to a CBS Sports report on Friday, October 16, the former NBA star woke up “briefly” from his coma on Thursday and has shown signs of responsiveness. The health update, via the Los Angeles Daily News, read as follows.
“Although Lamar Odom has stayed on life support and in a coma at a Las Vegas hospital, the former Lakers and Clippers forward continue to make progress with his recovery. Odom woke up briefly and showed some responsiveness with his body language on Thursday, according to multiple sources familiar with the situation.”
The health update comes just hours before TMZ released a second health update, claiming Odom’s heart is now responding. According to their October 16 report, Odom’s current heath crisis has improved in a “hugely important way” as his heart is now on the mend.
Tests done by doctors on Friday revealed that Odom’s heart function is “much better” than it had been in the days since he was admitted to the Sunrise Hospital in Las Vegas after being discovered unconscious at Dennis Hof’s Love Ranch South. After the health update was complete, Odom’s friends and family were told that his heart’s improvement is a “good sign,” and, in turn, they have set guidelines for visitation.
“Doctors have asked for ‘calm’ in Lamar’s room because they do not want him stimulated…. because non-stimulation promotes healing. Toward that end, doctors have ordered that virtually no one have access to Lamar’s room.”
While Odom won’t be receiving a bevy of visitors, his estranged wife, Khloe Kardashian, remains at his bedside, as she has been since Tuesday.
— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) October 16, 2015
With all of the negative things that have been said in regard to Odom’s recovery, the latest health update is extremely good news. For the last couple days, the prognosis has been bleak, claiming that even if Odom pulls out of his coma, he will likely never lead a normal life. Now, however, after the health update about Odom’s heart was released, his friends and family’s hopes for a full recovery are surely renewed. While a full recovery may seem like a long shot at this point, seeing that such a vital organ is improving makes it much more possible that it had been in recent days.
— Siege Magazine (@SIEGEMAGAZINE) October 16, 2015
In addition to the recent health update, a new statement has been released from Odom’s two children, 17-year-old Destiny and 13-year-old Lamar Odom Jr.
In a statement to CNN on October 15, the children said, via a family publicist, “Thanks for your outpouring of prayers and support for our dad. We are here with our family and friends. We appreciate everyone respecting our privacy at this time. We ask for your continued prayers.”
The previous day, Reverend Jesse Jackson spoke to media, offering a health update on Odom.
“Khloe was there, and his friends. We joined hands and we had prayer. He is in a real struggle, and I think the doctors are doing their task. We fall down and we try to get back up again, and we hope mercy and grace will be extended to (Lamar) and he can get up again.”
The Odom family, as well as the Kardashian family, who returned home to Los Angeles on Thursday, have yet to release a statement in regard to Odom’s latest health update.
[Photo by Michael Loccisano/Getty Images]