Rodent Found In Subway Sandwich: Large Mouse Found In Customer’s Subway Sandwich

Dead Rodent Found In Subway Sandwich

A large rodent was found in a customer’s Subway sandwich. A customer in Lincoln City, Oregon, encountered a particularly unappetizing surprise when he was about to dive into eating his Italian sub.

Matt Jones and his friend, Jay Armstead, went into the Subway restaurant located on Highway 101 on October 6 during mid-afternoon. When the Subway employee made Jay’s Italian sandwich, she used the last bit of lettuce available in the tray. Matt, however, noticed a dead rodent in his friend’s Subway sandwich, KGW TV reports. He said that “it was gross” after discovering the dead mouse inside the sandwich.

Subway reportedly alerted the county health department right away, and an inspector was sent out to examine the dead rodent and search the restaurant for other signs of contamination. It was concluded that the rodent problem wasn’t from the Lincoln City Subway location, according to Cheryl Connell, director of Lincoln County Health and Human Services.

Connell said the mouse most likely came from a bag of the bagged spinach.

“It was probably in a bag of the bagged spinach product, not from the facility itself. Everything was sanitized and cleaned properly afterwards.”

Jones and Armstead both received full refunds on their sub sandwiches.

Jones snapped a photo of the dead rodent found inside the Subway sandwich and posted it on his Facebook page. The photo is seen above in this article.

“Look at this beast of a mouse in the spinach at Subway today! Good thing we didn’t bite into it! AMAZING! WTF!! The manager was in shock!” Jones wrote in the post.

The county health department reassured customers who went to the restaurant earlier that they were unlikely to get ill due to the rodent found in the Subway sandwich.

(Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons, cropped and resized)

Connell said health inspectors consulted with physicians and heeded their advice.

She said, “[T]he risk of someone becoming sick due to eating lettuce with those particular circumstances were very low.”

KGW contacted Subway headquarters for their response in the dead rodent incident.

“As soon as the customer alerted the owner about what happened, they were immediately given a full refund and an investigation was launched. To be cautious, all of the products in the sandwich unit were disposed of and a thorough cleaning took place, in which the Health Department gave the restaurant a clean bill of health. There were no other complaints made.”

Jones is calling the dead rodent found in his friend’s Subway sandwich a “freak accident.” He and Armstead did call the company’s headquarters to file a complaint. He said that he doesn’t want to sue but wants to make sure no other customers have something like this happen to them.

In 2013, another foreign object was found inside a Subway sandwich. A 3-year-old girl in Ontario received some cuts to her mouth, cheeks, and tongue after she bit into some glass found inside her six-inch turkey sandwich, the Huffington Post reports. Fortunately, the incident didn’t require any stitches, and the girl wasn’t seriously harmed. She did bleed from the incident, but no infections emerged.

The girl’s mother went on to say that the doctor said several pieces of glass were found in her daughter’s sandwich. Some were the size of a pinkie finger. There were some worries that the glass in her stomach could have resulted in an infection.

In the case of a dead rodent being found in a Subway sandwich, it was the result of a mouse somehow getting inside a lettuce bag.

[Photo Credit: Matt Jones/Facebook]