A 20-year-old woman allegedly committed suicide after her new Indian husband took away her mobile phone from her because she was constantly on both Facebook and WhatsApp.
According to the Daily Mail, only the woman’s first name, Aparna, has been released, while it was also revealed that she hailed from Kerala in India. The incident unfolded at her home in Kuaundampalayam.
Further information revealed that she became terribly upset after she and her new husband got involved in a furious row because of her repeated use of various apps on the device, including Facebook and WhatsApp.
It’s believed that on Monday, he decided to abuse her because of how much time she spent on both of these apps.
This resulted in the duo having a blazing row, at the end of which he took away her mobile phone from her and she then went into her bedroom and then locked the door behind her.
While inside, she used another cell phone that she possessed to call up her brother, who she immediately informed of what had happened.
Various family members then banged on the door and tried to convince her to leave the room, but they weren’t yet aware of what Aparna had done to herself.
The Times Of India reported that when Aparna’s worried husband finally decided that the time was nigh to bust down the door and check on his wife’s safety, he was shocked to find her hanging on her dupatta, which she had attached to the ceiling.
The husband then immediately called paramedics and she was rushed to a local, private hospital. However, soon after arriving there she has declared dead, and then taken by police to a Government Hospital.
Upon the news of his wife’s death, the husband, who works as a lorry driver and often travels away for business over long periods of times, became apoplectic with emotion, and then even tried to take his own life. He did this by trying to jump from the roof of his house.
But his relatives were able to overpower him and stopped him from killing himself. It’s been reported that the woman was constantly on her mobile phone, checking social media because her husband was absent for so long.
This isn’t the first time that someone devoted to checking their social media pages has tragically had their life cut short. In fact, earlier this year 24-year-old Evgenia Sviridenko tragically died when the iPhone that she was charging dropped into the bath she was in.
According to The Mirror, the accident occurred when Sviridenko was checking her social media page on VKontakte, which is the Russian version of Facebook. She was then discovered by 23-year-old Yaroslav Dubinina, who she shared a flat with in Moscow.
Speaking after the tragic accident, Dubinina explained, “I noticed that she had been gone a while, and when I couldn’t raise her I opened the door and saw her floating on the water looking place.”
She then added, “I saw her phone which was on charge at the bottom of the bath. Her body was still shaking from the shock.”
This came just a few days after a 16-year-old girl, who also hailed from Russia, died after she took her charging mobile hone into the shower with her. Over the last few months, there have a variety of reports regarding customers being electrocuted by their iPhones, this then forced Apple to release various warnings about using unofficial chargers on the devises, as this forces them to overheat.